No announcement yet.

World Football Thread XII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought that was a very good first half. Both sides were attacking constantly and simply folied either by the lack of an accurate strike and/or good defense. I believe the referee is calling a very good game so far. The only yellow was clearly warranted and he lesta a fair bit of incidental contact go ignored.

I thought Italy had slightly the better of the play overall byr that Germany probably had the best opportunity to score (Schneider over the bar) -- I only wish I could see the second half!!
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• I think the last yellow was questionable. The next yellow should be to Italy for diving.
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• OMG!

Someone must've given Italy the evil eye
        Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

• Originally posted by Lord Avalon
          I think the last yellow was questionable. The next yellow should be to Italy for diving.
          I am not able to watch the second half but isn't ALWAYS the case that Italy deserves a yellow card for diving. Perhaps they should issue one to a random player at the start of the game and go from there
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Lord Avalon
            I think the last yellow was questionable. The next yellow should be to Italy for diving.
            Definitely give them one to start each game...
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Wow.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• D'oh. Well, it was a good run by Germany. Now that they're out, a team with an average age over 28 will win the Cup, which hasn't happened in 44 years.
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• Italy is so awesome!!!!
                  'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                  G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

• Originally posted by The diplomat
                    Italy is so awesome!!!!
                    I definitely thought they carried the play in the first half

Comment

• what a brilliant game of football.

a man's game played manfully with skill, style, class, passion and a dramatic finish to top it all off. simply fantastic.
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

• Enjoyable game to watch!

Congrats to Italy.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• In conclusion Only a couple of superbly-executed Italian goals could separate these two very evenly-matched teams on a high of high drama in Dortmund. Once again, Marcello Lippi’s side defended magnificently and the superb Gianluigi Buffon has still to concede a goal at Germany 2006 from an opposition player. However, while it is the Azzurri who march on to the Final, Germany - beaten in Dortmund for the first time ever - can reflect on their FIFA World Cup™ campaign with pride, having played throughout with spirit and skill in abundance.

Source http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060704/1/8kcg.html

Comment

• Poor Germany

One of those games where both sides played well enough to win. And to the ref for letting the players play and not getting card happy.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• It was a premiere.

The first time ever,
                                that a german team lost a world cup game in the Westfalenstadium in Dortmund.

Pity that the goal happened only 2 minutes before the game ended. Left germany without much chance to get equal.

But it was a great game, nevertheless.
                                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Working...
                                X