Football: Rushing the field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two things:

1) Rushing fans tearing down goalposts is massive numbers of people causing vandalism. Massive numbers of people causing vandalism is another way of saying "riot".

2) Riot gear is more for the protection of the police attempting to gain order of a situation where they are out number 10-100 to 1.
    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

When we won the league in 2004, for the first time in 16 years!

It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever

They used to...
        Someone should tell Reading fans...

That was this year when winning the Championship.

I was disappointed because in the playoff game against Wigan a few years ago we got to see the horsies on the pitch.
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

I was forgetting the lower reaches.....

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH

Someone should tell Reading fans...

That was this year when winning the Championship.

I was disappointed because in the playoff game against Wigan a few years ago we got to see the horsies on the pitch.
            There's obviously a lot of violence and vandalism going on there.
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

The field rush in question (big image alert)...

The coaches and players...

The student section starts joining in with the players...

All on the field...

Looks like perfectly harmless good fun to me.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

They all have the same tasteless white garment though.
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Here's a proper field rush. Miami and... ?

Although as a Notre Dame fan, I know that Miami fans are about the worst behaved, most brutish lot.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by DanS; June 23, 2006, 13:57.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                    They all have the same tasteless white garment though.
                    Sadly, that's what passes for team colors in Happy Valley, Pennsylvania.
                    Last edited by DanS; June 23, 2006, 13:32.

Comment

Where's Waldo?
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

There was a guy that was crushed a year or two ago by a goalpost.

Any time you have that many people all going to one place you have the threat of trampling. Think about the mad rush at the Who concert in... Toronto? A few people died and quite a few were injured.

Personally, I don't really like it, but I know why they do it and I understand the liability and injury concerns.
                        I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                        New faces...Strange places,
                        Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                        -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                          cal
                          Here's a representative sample of the Cal student section.

Vandals.
                          Attached Files

Comment

The evidence of their criminality. The Big Game 2004.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                              Were those occurences in the stadium? If not, then the research seems inapposite to me.
                              Why would the exact location of the disturbance matter?

Comment

You're posting pictures of student sections and trying to use that as proof that they wouldn't do anything wrong. In that case I feel it's necessary to remind you of the many 'riots' that occur after sporting events at colleges. At Purdue there were disturbances for three years running during the basketball season. I remember watching the helicopters track groups of people down and seeing the fires from people setting couches on fire. There was property damage and there were riot police out. As normal as students seem there is such a thing as mob mentality and I completely understand why schools would want to curtail certain activities that concentrate students into a small area where they could do damage. They would probably be better off directing that energy instead of stifling it, but schools don't think that way.
                                I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                                New faces...Strange places,
                                Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                                -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Working...
                                X