Football: Rushing the field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football: Rushing the field

Riot gear against fans rushing the field after a big victory? It's a little much, don't you think?

Student gets jail for on-field attack
    Posted: Wednesday June 14, 2006 11:55AM; Updated: Wednesday June 14, 2006 11:55AM

BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) -- A Penn State student who assaulted a police officer as students rushed the field after a dramatic victory over Ohio State was sentenced to at least four months in prison, but will be immediately eligible for work release.

The judge wondered aloud Tuesday about Nathan G. Lehman's behavior given his "unblemished background." Lehman, a 19-year-old engineering student from Mechanicsburg, was described as religious and a nondrinker.

In court Tuesday, Lehman said he was at an emotional breaking point after a difficult breakup with his girlfriend and two sleepless nights camped outside the stadium before the Oct. 8 game with rival Ohio State.

"I probably came as close to snapping as I ever did," Lehman testified. "I was definitely at a raw emotional state."

He said he attacked university police officer Cyprien Brien to "take one for the team," apparently referring to students surrounding him in the stands -- including fellow members of the Reformed University Fellowship.

Lehman, who pleaded guilty to aggravated assault, rushed onto the field to tackle Brien, punched him in the face and put him in a sustained headlock that left him with bruised neck ligaments, authorities said.

Judge Bradley P. Lunsford sentenced Lehman to four to 231/2 months at the Centre County Correctional Facility and a $1,000 fine. He will be immediately eligible for work release.

"You could have drawn on a lifetime of good decision-making ... but you chose to ignore that," Lunsford said. "You did more than attack a police officer. You attacked a community, and the community will not stand for that."

After Penn State's 17-10 win over the Buckeyes, an estimated 2,000 fans rushed the field in celebration and stayed there for 20 minutes. Police in riot gear finally massed on the field, lined up from sideline to sideline starting at the 10-yard line and moved toward students and alumni, coaxing them off the field.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Not with that many people rushing onto the field it isn't.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It's an exaggerated reaction yeah. Field rushing used to happen all the time. Sadly not anymore.
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™
        It's an exaggerated reaction yeah. Field rushing used to happen all the time. Sadly not anymore.
        It happens here from time to time after a very big win. Normally, at some schools, it's tolerated even if forbidden. Penn State sucked for several years, and this game was a return to greatness for the school. 110,000 fans on hand to watch the game. Probably the first time in a decade or two that the field had been rushed at Penn State.

That's why they should have let the celebration continue for a while, so long as there wasn't a riot going on.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

There is a dedicated World Cup thead for any football discussion. Please use it!!

Comment

I didn't know that fans rushed soccer fields after big wins. I guess it makes sense that they would, but I have never seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
              I didn't know that fans rushed soccer fields after big wins. I guess it makes sense that they would, but I have never seen it.
              They used to...

Comment

Why the change?

Comment

No. I don't think it was overkill. 2,000 people in a place where they definately shouldn't be almost demands riot police.

Plus, PSU has had a bad riot about 8 years ago. And another about 5 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                    Why the change?
                    People died, so they stopped it.

Comment

Originally posted by dunk
                      No. I don't think it was overkill. 2,000 people in a place where they definately shouldn't be almost demands riot police.

Plus, PSU has had a bad riot about 8 years ago. And another about 5 years ago.

http://www.ashbrook.org/publicat/ope...pennstate.html
                      For the win...

and with research to boot.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Were those occurences in the stadium? If not, then the research seems inapposite to me.

Comment

The history of riots makes it far more likely that 2,000 people rushing the field will be (and should be) met by riot police. To prevent another addition to that sordid history.

Comment

There's been no problem with the activity, so the activity should be curtailed so that no problems develop? Has there ever been a riot on the field in the US after the field was stormed? I admit to being baffled by your argument.

Comment

So what, you just wait until some sort of riot develops before you take any safety measures, no matter the potential threat?!

2000 people storming the field (and probably a decent amount of them drunk) is not something you want to persist for very long.

Comment

Working...
                              X