This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SpencerH
    A contender BEFORE the tourney, so what? Mexico were ranked 4 and the USA 5 so what does that tell you. Rankings and speculation based on play before the WC isnt worth the paper it's written on. Sometimes even the group play isnt an indicator of how well a team will do.

Anyone who watched SMT's defensive play during the WC and who has the smallest spark of knowledge about what they were supposed to be doing (as opposed to what they did) would say that their back 4 lacked discipline and were totally uncoordinated. Given that situation, anyone would beat them and everyone in the group did. Gushing over a big score against a team that is defending so poorly is rubbish. Talk about B sides all you want, they didnt score against Holland's disciplined defense.
    You brought up FIFA rankings as some sort of barometer? I think you'll find that only some in the US media took those rankings seriously.

And they didn't score against Holland because neither team wanted to. As stated before by someone else, the path to the Final may have been easier for the runners up.

To say the gushing over Argentina is silly because the USA was ranked 5th before the WC and because Serbia's defense was really very poor is completely missing the point. Its like saying the gushing over Brazil is silly because FIFA rankings are silly. I assure you that gushing over Argentina is entirely warrented. I mean Tevez and Messi are on the bench for that team (and not because the coach can't spot talent)!

Add to that that they are a traditional WC power and I don't see how you can complain that people are 'gushing' over Argentina. Hell, it is nothing compared to the gushing over Brazil.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus
      I'm surprised you hadn't heard of him yet. He really is a great player, and on top of that there've been rumours of him going to England for the last 2-3 seasons.
      Of course we've heard of him. This will be the season when Newcastle actually lands Kuyt (yes, I used the Anglicized version of the name )!
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by reds4ever

Sig bet then eh?

"I know nothing about football (insert name) was right about the Holland-Portugal game"

Until the end of the World Cup?
        OK
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Of course we've heard of him. This will be the season when Newcastle actually lands Kuyt (yes, I used the Anglicized version of the name )!
          He's going to Liverpool, thats why I asked.

It will be announced next week....

Remember where you heard it first....

Comment

OK
            It's a bet then!

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus
              Kuijt is a fantastic player, both very talented and a very, very, very hard worker (a rare combination). He's very creative, he can finish (was topscorer in the Eredivisie last season with 29 goals, this season he came second after Huntelaar with 22 goals -- and all that in spite of sharing his striker position at Feyenoord with another major goal getter, Kalou), he can pass, he can cross, he can dribble, he can even do his defensive duties if needed. He can play both on the right wing, in the centre of the attack and on the number 10 position. You do need to give him some freedom though, he's not at his best in a tight formation with strict orders and no space for creative actions.
              He's good but not that good imo (the dutch league isn't the best in the world, a couple of tough games but most are (or should be) walk overs for the top teams). He's technique leaves something to be desired for but seeing as he goes to the EPL, he'll do well.

He's certainly a good player to have on AND off the team.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Like the Scottish league.....

Comment

• Originally posted by atawa
                  Thats my point, at this moment Ronaldo due to his lack of speed or anything else for that matters is holdiong the team back. They are playing at around 50% of their ability at the moment I'd say.
                  As I said before, the Brazillians are holding back.

It's a good ploy, to give your opponents a false sense of security.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Newcastle have been doing it for the last 90 years......

Comment

• Yah, you just wait when until we start to actually play

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger

As I said before, the Brazillians are holding back.

The Brazilians remind me of Real somehow. Great players but not a good team and occupied with too much sponsor crap instead of playing football.
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

• Btw, anyone saw the piece where Guus Hiddink wasn't allowed entrance to the training ground because one of the Aussie cars wasn't a Hyundai (a sponsor).

Comment

• Originally posted by alva
                            The Brazilians remind me of Real somehow. Great players but not a good team and occupied with too much sponsor crap instead of playing football.
                            Aside from that whole winning the World Cup last time, right?

Comment

Portugal 3 - Holland 2
                              We're going to let in 3 goals after having let in 1 goal in the last 12 competitive games? More likely that we go out on penalties, but I think we'll win.

Comment

• Crap... boss scheduled an all day CPE (Continuing Professional Education) for today (and half day tomorrow) . Hard enough to concentrate as it is, but now I'll be wondering about the scores since we'll be in there from 10-noon and waiting for lunch to come!!

Though if the result is painful, maybe it is better I learn of it at the end rather than go through it... that's a silver lining, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X