Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "french out" "dirty frogs" "****ty frontiersmen " (lots of french live just across the border but commute to work in geneva) "geneva for genevans",
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus
      I'd be fine with that if the qualifiers weren't so uneven. The US and Mexico are all but guaranteed a spot while the best African teams have to fight to the death and many European teams also have a tough time qualifying. I agree that merging CONCACAF and CONMEBOL as DoY suggests would go a long way towards fixing that (although I seriously doubt it will ever happen). That would still leave you with Asia being ****e but some teams there are vastly improving so they may eventually start deserving their 4.5 spots in a couple of decades...
      It IS called the World Cup, after all, not the European and Brazil & Argentina Cup. Diversity in the participants is a GOOD thing. Especially since it helps the sport grow in other areas. Besides, the Round Robin is just the appetizer for the main course. The first round is the showcase of countries or whatnot, then the single elimination is where the proven teams go.

And besides before 1990, the US were most definately not guarenteed a spot. And in qualifying for 1998 and 2002 (2004 was a freebie, of course) the US had a very close qualifying run and only qualified in its last three matches. This qualifying was the only one where the US had an easy time of it.

And like Flubber said, if you can't be the 15th best team in Europe, then why should you have any claim at all to the WC Finals?
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus
        The US and Mexico are all but guaranteed a spot while the best African teams have to fight to the death and many European teams also have a tough time qualifying.
        There are too many slots for Europe already. Either give more to the rest of the world (esp. Africa and Asia) or remove some European ones.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• This would all be moot if the World Cup were expanded. If there are European or African teams of high quality, it would be a shame to exclude them.

Overall, there were few teams in WC group play that didn't belong there.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Well Qualifying takes care of 'expanding' the World Cup Finals because every confederation gives every team a very good chance (many games) of making the Finals.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• I think that the WC Finals doesn't gain much by erring on the side of exclusion. I realize that some line has to be drawn, but if the Europeans say that quality European teams are not in the Finals, that indicates to me that too many teams are being excluded.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                I think that the WC Finals doesn't gain much by erring on the side of exclusion. I realize that some line has to be drawn, but if the Europeans say that quality European teams are not in the Finals, that indicates to me that too many teams are being excluded.
                Europe ALWAYS thinks that some quality European team was not included and have ever since the percentage of European teams in the Finals went down. And perhaps one or two did, but the answer to make sure they were in the Finals instead of Europe's Serbia & Montenegro who finished last in this World Cup (though I realize they were good in qualifying).

And IMO, it is better to be too exclusionist than being too 'open'. It makes the Finals far more exciting that few teams are in, and much more of an achievement to get in. And of course there are questions of how freaking long can the World Cup go on for. IMO, a month is a very good time frame.

Though Africa should get at least one more spot. Probably from CONCACAF, even though Trinidad & Tobago (who finished 4th and won the playoff to get in) played pretty well. Make the final one game playoff to get in be between Asia & Africa perhaps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                  There are too many slots for Europe already. Either give more to the rest of the world (esp. Africa and Asia) or remove some European ones.

Sorry, but if anything, Europe has too few slots if it were for quality only.
                  % of teams advancing to phase 2:
                  CONCACAF: 25% (1/4)
                  CONMEBOL: 75% (3/4)
                  UEFA: 71% (10/14)
                  Africa: 20% (1/5)
                  Asia: 0% (0/4)
                  Oceania: 100% (1/1)

And you want to tell us Africa and Asia certainly deserve more slots? Now,I agree that this WC wasn't particularily favorable for Africa, but still, you can see the trend.
                  I'm not arguing for more slots for Europe or South America, since it's a good thing that the WC actually has a good number of teams from all corners of the world. But stating that Europe is over-represented...
                  "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                  "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

• Italy - Austrailia - Switzerland - Ukraine. CH could advance all the way to the semifinals. I watched them play Italy in a worldcup warmup match, and they dominated the game and should have won.
                    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Originally posted by Wernazuma III

Sorry, but if anything, Europe has too few slots if it were for quality only.
                      % of teams advancing to phase 2:
                      CONCACAF: 25% (1/4)
                      CONMEBOL: 75% (3/4)
                      UEFA: 71% (10/14)
                      Africa: 20% (1/5)
                      Asia: 0% (0/4)
                      Oceania: 100% (1/1)

And you want to tell us Africa and Asia certainly deserve more slots? Now,I agree that this WC wasn't particularily favorable for Africa, but still, you can see the trend.
                      I'm not arguing for more slots for Europe or South America, since it's a good thing that the WC actually has a good number of teams from all corners of the world. But stating that Europe is over-represented...
                      They are, by four teams it looks like.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Most Yellows:

Tunisia - 13
                        Ghana - 11
                        CH - 11
                        Serbia - 11
                        Angola - 10

yet they ranked 29th outta 32 in fouls committed, with 38 fouls. only italy and brazil had less.

Comment

• 1 - 0
                          Attached Files

Comment

• He shouldn't pick his nose like that.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Yeah gone up a bit too far in search of hostile bogeys...

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                                Italy - Austrailia - Switzerland - Ukraine. CH could advance all the way to the semifinals. I watched them play Italy in a worldcup warmup match, and they dominated the game and should have won.
                                Very brilliant game against Italy. Here are the highlights of the 2nd half:

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Check out De Rossi's performance.
                                "Football is like chess, only without the dice." Lukas Podolski

Comment

Working...
                                X