Do clever people tend to be lazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do clever people tend to be lazy?

That's the conclusion from my causal observaton over the years.

At uni the most intelligent students weren't at the top, though they certainly were up there at the first tier with their 3.x GPA.

At work the smartest people tend to do the minimium nessary to get by/a promotion/a raise/etc.

What do you think?
    Yarr
    72.22%
    Nah
    19.44%
    Banana
    8.33%
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

I'm not so sure about university and work, but it certainly holds true, as a general rule, in school intelligent pupils often have rather mediocre marks because they don't learn at all and still get by.
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

I'd put a clever response here if I weren't so lazy.
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

There is a tendency for smarter people to become bored of work they view as too easy and, as a result, not bother to do it (which then leads to laziness generally). Then again many people are lazy regardless of their intelligence level. I don't know if there is any marked increase in laziness as intelligence goes up.
        "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Originally posted by Zevico
          There is a tendency for smarter people to become bored of work they view as too easy and, as a result, not bother to do it (which then leads to laziness generally).
          And I think this can often be attributed to the early school systems, which are geared for the lowest common denominator.

Comment

yes

I think that's why I'm an engineer... how to do the most with least amount of effort

most bang for the buck

I'm going into buisness
            Monkey!!!

Comment

and I think thats why being a lawyer suits me

They pay me to periodically tell them that "it depends"
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

is that your response to the OP?
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                  and I think thats why being a lawyer suits me

They pay me to periodically tell them that "it depends"
                  So all your posting in the SMAC forum is simply keeping sharp in case they need you at work?
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                    is that your response to the OP?
                    Sure. But in lawyer mode I would give you the long version -- which is a definitive answer stated with authority but with so many qualifications, exceptions, footnotes etc that it probably means the oppoiste more often than not
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

are you that disclaimer reader guy at the end of car ads?!
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander

So all your posting in the SMAC forum is simply keeping sharp in case they need you at work?
                        [Concise lawyer mode on]

yes and no

[Concise lawyer mode off]

Most of my posting in the Smac forum is "turn sent"

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                          are you that disclaimer reader guy at the end of car ads?!
                          nahh talking fast is too much work

Comment

Originally posted by dejon

And I think this can often be attributed to the early school systems, which are geared for the lowest common denominator.
                            Absolutely. I found that because they didn't crank up the complexity of the problem sets in math courses that I'd tend to use a brute force method rather than whatever was being taught, as it was much faster for me and involved no scrawling with pencils. Eventually though I was the poorer for not having those techniques honed to a useful degree as real life easily loaded up all the complexity one could want, and more. Thus it is that many of my less intelligent classmates nonetheless were able to master various math skills that I still struggle with. This is why it's better to track students by ability (and if possible learning style) rather than giving them the "one size fits none" education.
                            He's got the Midas touch.
                            But he touched it too much!
                            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Maybe you're on to something. Where I'm at, the highest scores usually don't go to the smartest ones. The smartest ones do score above average, but they just can't be bothered. Or should I say at least they are more talented. THe highest scorers are usually hard workers.

Hard working is a good thing if you want to advance, however, when the lazy bums turn on the heat, they'll pass hard workers with flying colours so yeah, maybe the true 'elite' is kind of lazy, at least where I'm at.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                              X