Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spain losing to Tunisia I have nothing against Spain but when their newspapers are daily insulting Italian soccer and players, and after the ridiculous newspaper titles they had after the 4:0 to Ukraine..

We are the winners... of Eurovision!
    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

• we didnt come off our mountains to lose.
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Spain apparently have never won Eurovision either. I might move there, maybe they don't even televise it.

Comment

• That didn't last long Datajack.

Comment

• Amazing

how quickly it can all fall apart, isn't it?
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• LOL!
              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

• Really a pleasant game, that Tunisia-Spain. I'm sad that Tunisia lost, but Spain was clearly superior.
                After 20 boring minutes in the second half, the match really took off when Spain scored. Before then, both teams were extremely nervous, febrilous even. But once Raul scored, the Spaniards had a better morale (resulting in their eventual three goals), and the Tunisians were finally back on the offense.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Originally posted by duke o' york
                  Korea will crush the lowly Swiss! Or draw: anyway the lads are going through to meet Ukraine.
                  I fancy the idea of Tunisia winning against Ukraine. With one defeat and a draw, the Tunisians aren't destroyed yet. If the Ukrainians suffer another defeat, they're toast.
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Overall

Group A

No comment needed-- Ecuador and germany

Group B

England through-- The Swedes need a draw or better against the English to advance. If the Swedes lose they can be eliminated if Trinidad and Tobago win and the combined margins exceed 3.

Group C

Argentina and Netherlands

Group D

Portugal through and Mexico is in exactly the same boat as Sweden in Group B. Angola could advance if Mexico loses and they get a combined margin that exceeds 3.

Group E

An absolute mess.

If the US loses, Ghana is in with the winner of Italy-Czech (Italy if the draw)

If the US draws Ghana, Italy and Czech go through if they draw or if the Czechs win by one goal. Ghana advances with Italy on any Italy win or with the Czechs if the Czechs win by three. A 2 goal margin by the Czechs results in a tied goal differential

If the US wins AND

Italy wins, Italy and the US advance
                    Czechs win , The Czechs go through -- Italy joins them if the combined margins are less than 5
                    Italy Czech draw-- Italy goes through-- Czechs join them in the US wins by less than 4

So three teams have their fate in their own hands completely while the US needs a little help. Fortunately for the US, the Italians can't afford to mail it in since if they lose there are many likley scenarios where they do not advance (including any win by Ghana)

Group F

Brazil is in

If Brazil wins or draws with Japan, Australia advances with a win or draw gaainst Croatia while the Croatians advance with a win.

If Japan wins
                    Australia still advances if the win
                    Australia advances with a draw unless Japan beats Brazil by 3 or more
                    Croatia still advances with win over Australia unless the Japanese winning margin exceeds that of Croatia .

Group G

Togo is out.

France advances with a win if the Swiss/SK game is decisive OR if France wins by two goals in any event.

Group H

Spain is in.

If Spain beats Saudi or draws them the winner of Tunisia-Ukraine will advance-- Ukraine advances if they draw.

If the Saudis win:

Ukraine advances regardless if they win
                    If Ukraine and Tunisia draw, its Ukraine through unless the Saudis beat Spain by 4 or more
                    If Tunisia wins they go through unless the saudis margin of victory exceeds their by 2 or more

Confused yet. All innacuracies belong to me and I didn't look at the next level of tiebreak.
                    Last edited by Flubber; June 19, 2006, 18:14.
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• ahh I was going to ask a newbie question, but Flubber explained some of it (though it still seems confusing)

I was going to ask if there are brackets (like the NCAA basketball tournament). I'm curious about a couple of teams, and am wondering if they are still alive.

I'm a newbie to this football stuff.

Comment

• And all the scenarios make it understandable while the final games in each group are being held at the same time. While it cannot eliminate the chance of collusion, it does reduce it. In most of the groups where a draw can bring advancement for two teams in one scenario, a late goal in the other game could eliminate one of them.

For instance, I doubt SK would risk playing an uneventful draw and see a French 2 goal margin eliminate them. It could get real interesting though in the late going if France is leading 1-0 while SK and Swiss are tied.
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Dis
                          ahh I was going to ask a newbie question, but Flubber explained some of it (though it still seems confusing)

I was going to ask if there are brackets (like the NCAA basketball tournament). I'm curious about a couple of teams, and am wondering if they are still alive.

I'm a newbie to this football stuff.
                          Its easy. There are 8 groups of 4 and they all play a rouind robin among the 4 with 2 teams advancing from each group. They then play off in a series of one game elimination matches -- 1st in "A" versus second in "B" etc. Actual placings won't really be determined until the last day-- Even teams that are advancing can rarely have 1st sewn up already.

Comment

• Oh and dis-- the only reason that it gets so confusing are the ties. Throw a few of them into the mix and you get situations where, going into the last round, it is possible for all 4 teams in a group to achieve a 1-1-1 record. In actual fact, many of the groups are less complicated than my description.

Take groups F and H. It is very unlikely for Spain or Brazil to lose against their next opponent and even more unlikely that it would be by any larger margin so those groups really come down to a second place battle in the other games.

In groups B and D mexico and Sweden were probably disappointed to have a draw already but are each in the position of playing a strong team that has already clinched a spot and threrfore may not be as eagar

Group "E" is the messiest
                            Last edited by Flubber; June 19, 2006, 18:16.

Comment

• Good job Flubber
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• If Ukraine and Tunisia draw, its Ukraine through unless the Saudis beat Brazil by 4 or more
                                Brazil? You mean Spain.
                                Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

Working...
                                X