Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• France were on top for 80 minutes, didn't do much about it then went behind and could've lost it. That said Vieira scored with that header..

Comment

• I saw that game and it was an absolute disgrace. Both teams should have been banned from the next WC (and I was a big fan of Bayern Munich and the German team in those days).
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• I also saw this and btw I was on vacation in austria. Anyone agreed it was an absolute disgrace.

I would agree that a ban for the next WC would have been the right measure when there was any money involved. But I doubt this...since it looked rational to keep that result and I think many other teams (with normal relationships) would have done the same. Has anyone a ball possession statistics about this game? (I was young so I dont remember the details....just remember that germany kept the ball very long in his own half and austria made no attempt to pressure....dunno if there was any long ball to the austrian half....mebbe each 5 minutes or so....otherwise germany should have the ball possession record by this "game".)

IMO the system in spain was quite silly....also the groups with 3 teams.
        "Football is like chess, only without the dice." Lukas Podolski

Comment

• Shocking game. I think FIFA turned a blind eye because they were quite happy the bigger teams qualified.

Comment

• Boooyeah Korea, great job tying it up with the Frenchies looks like Korea will be going to the second round unless something very bad happens in the Swiss game
            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

• IMO the Brazillians are holding back, not like them silly Argentinians.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Holding back being another term for not being on the same page yet .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Re: The quality of the officiating

It's been pretty bad. I thought the U.S. game was badly handled, but it wasn't even close to the worst. I've seen a lot of offsides called where there wasn't any, corners that magically got turned into goal kicks, fouls called on the offended rather than the offender, etc. And of course the sea of yellow cards. The yellow card should be used to somewhat remedy egregious positional fouls and dangerous play, not as a warning that the ref is going to call the game tight in the opening minutes of play. The frequency with which players are going to have to sit out helps the teams of the larger / richer countries (who ostensibly have more depth), and I think that is bad for a tournament which in all likelihood is going to go to one of the big favorites as usual.
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• Originally posted by siron
                    I also saw this and btw I was on vacation in austria. Anyone agreed it was an absolute disgrace.

I would agree that a ban for the next WC would have been the right measure when there was any money involved. But I doubt this...since it looked rational to keep that result and I think many other teams (with normal relationships) would have done the same. Has anyone a ball possession statistics about this game? (I was young so I dont remember the details....just remember that germany kept the ball very long in his own half and austria made no attempt to pressure....dunno if there was any long ball to the austrian half....mebbe each 5 minutes or so....otherwise germany should have the ball possession record by this "game".)

IMO the system in spain was quite silly....also the groups with 3 teams.
                    The first 10 min or so were good attacking football from both sides. Then Horst Hrubesh (sp?) scored one of his brilliant headers and the game ended. After that goal both sides just pushed the ball around and made no more real attempts to score. There were a few feeble attempts made to score but both teams kept 10 men back in their half. The fix was especially obvious given that everyone saw how both sides could play when they wanted (during the first 10 minutes).

EDIT: the other notable thing I remember is how pissed off Toby Charles was. While the 'parrots' continued their incessant 'play by play' commentary as if nothing was happening, Charles told it like it was, a disgrace (and he was a big Bundesliga/German fan too).
                    Last edited by SpencerH; June 19, 2006, 09:52.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Swiss up by 1 early... where is LoA celebrating?
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• If Togo were Brazil they'd probably have gotten a penalty in the first half from on of the two situations for Adebayor.
                        It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

• If Togo were Brazil, they'd have scored .

Comment

• If Togo were Croatia, they'd have missed the penalty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus
                              Good job Korea They deserved to win that one...
                              QFT
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• I was at the town square where they have set up a 42 m2 screen to watch the game.

Man of the match - Tranquillo Barnetta. 1 goal, 1 assist.
                                Attached Files
                                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Working...
                                X