Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Age of Imperialism' has a ring to it. What age are we in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zkribbler
    I like Pax Americana.

It's like the Pax Romana, when the Romans went around kicking the snot out of other countries, or the Pax Brittannia, when England went around kicking the snot out of other countries.
    While there is a 'Roman Age', there's no 'British Age' (which blends in with the industrial age.)
    The same will be for the US. It has had significant influence in the 20th century but it has never been fundamentaly different then it's ancestors (old Europe). Furthermore the US is no Rome: it has gotten it's ass handed too often a time to stand up to the comparison.
    "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
    "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

While I agree that the USA is no Rome, Rome wasn't ROME because it never lost. It lost plenty. Rome was ROME because it would lose and not give up, and come back to win. Hannibal's campaign in Italy is a great example. Rome simply refused to accept they were beaten, and wore him down.

They lost entire legions to "barbarians" long before their decline, but bounced back.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Washington was no Caesar either, thankfully.
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

But the empire existed before Caesar.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
            Then again, I'd take Financial over Expansive any day of the week.
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Information Age is the best.

Communication Age might be good as well. A third of the world's population has a mobile phone.

Comment

Fake Boob Age
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Indeed, although one must admit that Expansive does have some decent synergy with Organized. Nobody spamms coastal fishing cities like Caesar.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

The Islamic Age for sure. In the same way the Christian Age began with the end for the Roman Age.
                    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                      Of course not, but I see certain parallels between Bush and Caligula.

Comment

What, he made his horse a Senator?

-Arrian

Comment

'The Islamic Age' hasn't been established yet however. How about...'The Age of the Orient'

The Oil Age
                          Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

If it's the "Age of the Orient", does that make the previous, Western-dominated eras Occidental in nature?
                            B♭3

Comment

The Reality Show Age
                              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

The Age of Celebrity

Comment

Working...
                                X