No announcement yet.

What is asperger's anyway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People can have a choice but not be allowed to make it...
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Dis

unless they are locked up (or court ordered), they don't have to take their drugs.
      And most people in mental institutions are locked up. There was a report of some journalist feigning schyzophrenia in a mental hospital, and he was locked up, force-fed drugs, kept bondaged, etc.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• that'll teach him not to fake it again. I know this is serious. But for some reason I find that funny. I don't care for reporters faking stuff, so maybe that's why.

Comment

• I don't care much for reporters either, but that was just confirming suspicions that such maltreatment of mental hospital inmates is very common.

Comment

• Look at 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo Nest'...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
              Only how many people with so-called physchiatric or neurological disorders are asked what they want? Any mental hospital treats its patients however the doctors like, no one is ever paid any attention there.
              most people with such disorders are not in mental hospitals. And there were major investigations into conditions in mental hospitals in this country 35 years ago (yes, thats how Geraldo Rivera got his start) - you cant be hospitalized against your will here unless you present as a danger to yourself or others.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                Look at 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo Nest'...
                I've looked at that movie title for a few minutes now, nothing happened...

Comment

• not surprising, as long as they have insurance or somebody to pay for it, they are more than willing to "treat" people.

Sometimes reporters do have to resort to dirty tactics to expose things. We had one reporter pose as an underage girl. Got an airman from the air force base in some serious trouble. Not sure what he was charged with, but his career is pretty much over.

But sometimes I think they do it just for a shocking news piece, and not for the public good.

anyways, I'm getting off topic. enough of that.

Comment

• most people with such disorders are not in mental hospitals. And there were major investigations into conditions in mental hospitals in this country 35 years ago (yes, thats how Geraldo Rivera got his start) - you cant be hospitalized against your will here unless you present as a danger to yourself or others.
                    That's not true in reality. I know this from personal experience. A friend of mine ran away from school once and her crazy**** mother had her committed. Her mother lied to the police and lied to the doctors and lied to her friends and it worked. We didn't hear from our friend for days.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• in fact in MY country, ive heard more often of people with psychiatric problems, like depression, or ADD, who DONT get treated, cause they dont have insurance, and cant afford it.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael
                        That's not true in reality. I know this from personal experience. A friend of mine ran away from school once and her crazy**** mother had her committed. Her mother lied to the police and lied to the doctors and lied to her friends and it worked. We didn't hear from our friend for days.
                        If somebodys gonna lie, sometimes thats gonna work. But what happened when she was in the hospital? how long did she stay there?

Comment

• She was there for several days. All of her possessions were taken from her, so she had no ability to contact the outside world. She was forced to take drugs (by pill and injection) that were supposed to calm her down. She was never diagnosed with anything.

Comment

• This is really, really scary.

The Michigan Mental Health Code provides that a person

whose judgment is so impaired that he or she is unable to understand his or her need for treatment and whose continued behavior as the result of this mental illness can reasonably be expected, on the basis of competent clinical opinion, to result in significant physical harm to himself or herself or others

may be subjected to involuntary commitment, a provision paralleled in the laws of many other jurisdictions.

You can pretty much put anything under that definition. A person who can't understand the need for his treatment. That's how Soviet people who said something against communism were locked up. They were obviously insane, and so insane that they didn't know only a sick person could say something against communism. Hence, forced confinement to an institution.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
                              This is really, really scary.

The Michigan Mental Health Code provides that a person

whose judgment is so impaired that he or she is unable to understand his or her need for treatment and whose continued behavior as the result of this mental illness can reasonably be expected, on the basis of competent clinical opinion, to result in significant physical harm to himself or herself or others

may be subjected to involuntary commitment, a provision paralleled in the laws of many other jurisdictions.

You can pretty much put anything under that definition. A person who can't understand the need for his treatment. That's how Soviet people who said something against communism were locked up. They were obviously insane, and so insane that they didn't know only a sick person could say something against communism. Hence, forced confinement to an institution.

"whose judgment is so impaired that he or she is unable to understand his or her need for treatment and whose continued behavior as the result of this mental illness can reasonably be expected, on the basis of competent clinical opinion, to result in significant physical harm to himself or herself or others

IOW you can involuntarily commit someone whos a suicide risk. Thats all. There are some folks here who are against even that, but its hardly like Soviet psychiatry. The streets here for the last 30 years, have been filled with Schizophrenics, who choose not to be hospitalized, and cant be commited under the law. Its called "deinstitutionalization" and its the reality here, for better or ill.

Comment

• The significant harm part makes even less sense. Obviously you can say that if a person is so mad he doesn't see the need for his treatment, he may also start attacking others or himself.

Of course, I sure do hope that the real situation is one where people are not arbitrarily hospitalized, and where the mental patients in hospitals are treated humanely...

Comment

Working...
                                X