Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

China vs India War: Who Wins? (No Nukes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Colon™

If that's such a big secret, then why are you telling this on a public forum, in front of a potential audience of one billion people (I bet not even China has censored this site yet)? Aren't you afraid the KGB is going to persecute you?
    with all the political discussion here I'm sure China will have censored poly. I don't think they'd trust allowing access to any forum where political discussion took place that wasn't moderated at least in part by an appointed observer for the party.

Comment

• We haven't heard from mindseye in a while.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Vince278

Indeed.
        Hope that answers some of your question in the other thread (about the sinificance of Kashmir).

*Ladakh is geographically a part of the Tibetan Plateau (*according to Lonely Planet). So holding that gives India a foothold in Tibet.

wiki: Ladakh

In present times, the only two land routes to Ladakh in use are from Srinagar and Manali. Travellers from Srinagar start their journey from Sonamarg, through the Zoji la pass (3,450 m, 11,320 ft) via Dras and Kargil (2,750 m, 9,022 ft) passing through Namika la (3,700 m, 12,140 ft) and Fatu la (4,100 m, 13,450 ft.) This has been the main traditional gateway to Ladakh since historical times. However, with the rise of militancy in Kashmir, the main corridor for accessing the area has shifted from the Srinagar-Kargil-Leh route through Zoji la, to the high altitude Manali-Leh Highway from Himachal Pradesh. The highway crosses four passes, Rohtang la (3,978 m, 13,050 ft), Baralacha la (4,892 m, 16,050 ft), Lungalacha la (5,059 m, 16,600 ft), Tangtang la (5,325 m, 17,470 ft) and is open only between July and September, when snow is cleared from the road. There is one airport, situated at Leh, from which there are multiple daily flights to Delhi on Jet Airways and Indian, and weekly flights to Srinagar.

Basically, in any war with China, losing Kashmir means losing the western flank and the possibility of launching raids into China. And it would leave Delhi and Mumbai looking quite exposed.
        I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

• Originally posted by Serb
          Even Microsoft incorporates "patches" into their software that allows Bill Gates to do whatever he wants with your PC. And everyone knows that.
          I'm sorry to say I agree with Serb here ( ). Has anyone else read the agreement that comes with the Genuine Advantage Tool? Everytime I read it I cancel the download.

Originally posted by Geronimo
          with all the political discussion here I'm sure China will have censored poly.
          I wonder how true that is?
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Who'd win, hmm?

They have similar population (India larger).
            No. In 2005, population of China was 1 300 million, POP of India around 1 000 million.

Who has better tech?
            Military tech? China.

More tanks, planes? More combat expirience?
            China, China, China.

Better organization?
            Debatable. I don't know.

Who wins?
            If the fight is closed between the two nations, then it's obviously China. They already won in the 1960s in a matter of weeks, and it wasn't even close. It's worth noting that they control the high ground and can get to India's capital with a single breakthrough before India can start a counter-offensive.

However, in a real-world situation, the question is much trickier and thus more interesting. Would US intervene? Would Russia? What would be the role of Australia, what the role of Japan?

EDIT: I searched for the details of the war of 1962 between China and India after Sandman mentioned when it was fought. Look what I found.
            Last edited by RGBVideo; June 12, 2006, 11:19.

Comment

• Important point

Originally posted by Sandman
              Once again we're reminded that you're either cruel or bonkers. And calling China 'communist' is just precious.
              He and I define communism as Reagan defined it: an oppressive dictatorship governed by a tiny corrupted and perverted elite or those least fit to govern with the excuse of somehow being "for the workers". Since he was obviously referring to the fate of USSR by saying that "the commies always lose in the long run" even if they win conventional wars, I suppose it was obvious for you that he wasn't talking about theoretical, coffee-table intellectual communism what you and che immediately think of when you hear the fuzzy label.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                Depends on how much the French were involved.
                Our military planes have a very solid technology. We suck at marketing them however, notably because they're horribly expansive.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Re: Who'd win, hmm?

Originally posted by VJ
                  EDIT: I searched for the details of the war of 1962 between China and India after Sandman mentioned when it was fought. Look what I found.
                  Publication of major China-India bilateral agreements and MOUs on the eve of April 1st

“As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Re: Important point

Originally posted by VJ

He and I define communism as Reagan defined it: an oppressive dictatorship governed by a tiny corrupted and perverted elite or those least fit to govern with the excuse of somehow being "for the workers". Since he was obviously referring to the fate of USSR by saying that "the commies always lose in the long run" even if they win conventional wars, I suppose it was obvious for you that he wasn't talking about theoretical, coffee-table intellectual communism what you and che immediately think of when you hear the fuzzy label.
                    Hail Comrade Bush!
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Silly DaShi. The obvious difference is that Bush doesn't pretend that he's the leader of the workers of US, he doesn't even call his administration "the dictatorship of the proletariat".

Comment

• What's with this whole immigration thing then?
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither

What do you think happens when Austrailia, Britain, and Canada are asking the US to help?
                          Same as the last time they asked the USA to get involved in a huge war. Nothing....until the japanese held a fireworks display at Pearl harbour.

Comment

• Those 50 destroyers, and then the USN guarding convoys in the NA prior to DoW, are a whole lot of nothing, eh?

Here's a clue. Britain wasn't relying on shipping from Oz to eat, so I'm not surprised you aren't aware what the Yanks under FDR did to keep us going, but it was a lot more than they were supposed to.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Is this where I roll out the story that the US would roll aircraft up to the border during the day and park them, then Canadians would come across and take the planes over to the Canadian side at night?

Talk about illegals!
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Good points notyoueither.

Yes, the USA did provide substantial assistance to the Allies under the table (and not so under the table) before they actually went to war.

Comment

Working...
                                X