Iran takes one more BIG step...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia

no thats wrong. if the treaty is a codefication of an international custom, it is irrelevant whether the country is part of the treaty or not if they did not deposit a protest at the instant the custom emerged.
    A custom is not a law and has no binding power. It may be relevant to the attitute other states take, but that's it.

The notion that only 5 states should have nuclear weapons is certainly NOT an international custom. The general repulsion to nuclear weapons overall has done nothing to get the five nuclear powers or the three nuclear powers outside the NPT to move towards no nukes. NK has suffered no real negative diplomatic consequences for its pull out of the NPT.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

"Customary international law results from a general and consistent practice of states followed out of a sense of legal obligation, so much so that it becomes custom. As such, it is not necessary for a country to sign a treaty for customary international law to apply."
      Last edited by Lawrence of Arabia; May 27, 2006, 16:48.
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

also includes Jus Cogens.
        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

That history doesn;t work that way. That it is situation specific.

I know that might be too hard for you to comprehend. That the world is not a comic book, or a script written by some Hollywood writer, but actually a complex series of interrelated events that change quickly.
          How is anything in this post inconsistent with what NYE wrote?

Comment

some examples of jus cogens : crimes against humanity, war crimes, piracy, torture, genocide, slavery.

Comment

Originally posted by Lul Thyme

when India and Pakistan said **** off to the NPT did you advise bombing them to the ground too?

that part of the argument is very VERY weak.
              Whose interests were going to be served by bombing either one of them? They got away with it because they have both avoided massively pissing off any country or group of countries that take on responsibility for maintaining the status quo.

Anyway it isn't at all clear that NYE is really advocating that Iran be bombed. It seems he's simply explaining why nobody should be surprised if Iran's actions lead to aggression against it.

Comment

GePap, LoA is entirely on point here. Customary international law is just as much 'law' as treaties are. Jus cogens is even greater, because you can't "treaty out" of jus cogens.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia

"Customary international law results from a general and consistent practice of states followed out of a sense of legal obligation, so much so that it becomes custom. As such, it is not necessary for a country to sign a treaty for customary international law to apply."
                  This does not appear to be the case here.

Also the US's prior unilateral withdrawl from the ABM treaty severely weakens its case.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                    Because they have WEAPONS!!1

And all countries that have weapons are EVIL!!1 and must be destroyed!!1
                    ROFL
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                      some examples of jus cogens : crimes against humanity, war crimes, piracy, torture, genocide, slavery.
                      Piracy has certainly been condemned for a long time. Care to show how many states have been penalized for any of the others prior to 1945?

In fact "crimes against humanity" is a rather new term legally.
                      And all those have been codified by now, piracy probably much earlier than the others.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        GePap, LoA is entirely on point here. Customary international law is just as much 'law' as treaties are. Jus cogens is even greater, because you can't "treaty out" of jus cogens.
                        There is no jus cogens on the nuclear issue. If there were, obviously India, Pakistan, Israel, and NK would have suffered for their actions regarding the NPT. Besides states fulfilling their own requirements under the NPT regarding what activities they can carry out with regards to these states, they have suffered no additional negative diplomatic consequences.

So what "customary law" keeps any state bound by the NPT?

Comment

• Sorry, forgot about this thread.

IIUC the EU offered to guarantee the supply of enriched Uranium themselves. Iran could choose to buy from Russia, but the EU would insure they were not cut off.

With a diplomatic situation as precarious as Iran's, any guarantee isn't going to go that far.

AFAIK no nuclear energy program of the limited size of Irans does its own enrichment. Enrichment has high fixed costs, and is only economically justified by a large number of nuclear plants. Most smaller programs rely on imported enriched uranium. Trade in enriched Uranium is routine, and having own enrichment plants is NOT a normal component of energy security.

I'm not sure why you're talking about enrichment plants when I'm talking about a heavy water reactor which can use natural uranium.
                          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                          -Bokonon

Comment

• Buckle up.

6 world powers agree on Iran incentives
                            AP - 24 minutes ago

VIENNA, Austria - Six world powers agreed Thursday to offer Iran a new choice of rewards if it gives up suspect nuclear activities or punishment if it refuses, a gambit that could either defuse a global confrontation with the Islamic regime or hasten one. "There are two paths ahead," British Foreign Secretary Margaret Becket said in announcing agreement among the United States, Britain, France, Germany, Russia and China on a package deal for Iran that carries the threat of United Nations sanctions.
                            Don't miss the underlined this time around, boys.

I'm now taking bets. I say, Iran is going down. Any takers?
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• I want the US to invade Iran.

Then we will be rid of your tiresome meddling the sooner.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

• See ? It won't be the USA. READ. Same problems you're all having now. You don't read.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X