Iran takes one more BIG step...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cyclotron
    The US deliberate bombing of infrastructure in Iraq was disastrous and totally unethical. A repeat performance in Iran would be equally so. There isn't even a pretext to do such a thing - Iran hasn't even attacked Israel (or anyone else).
    When are you talking about regarding the U.S. bombing of Iraqi infrastructure? The Gulf war?
    He's got the Midas touch.
    But he touched it too much!
    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

The responsibility for such deaths is always with the killer. That doesn't mean that killing isn't sometimes neccessary.

It hardly matters in this case, however. Deliberately bombing the infrastructure of states has been proven to be immensely harmful to people who have nothing to do with the machinations of belligerent states. There's simply no justification for such a thing.
      Are you saying that there can be no justification for attacking a state's infrastructure, or simply in this case there is no justification?
      He's got the Midas touch.
      But he touched it too much!
      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

How 'bout this for a solution:

The Canucks have nuclear reactors that don't rely on enriched uranium (called, don't laugh, "CANDU"). We offer Iran some of these reactors in exchange for full and regular IAEA inspections. Since Iran claims that they're just after nuclear power, we'd be calling their bluff. If they accept, everyone wins. If they refuse, Khamenei pisses off both the Reformists and the EU, facilitating support for a stronger sanctions regime.

I'm not entirely sold on the harsh sanctions regime thing though.

One thing that is certain is that airstrikes would be monumentally idiotic.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
          Place your bets on what side of the question the EU comes down on.
          The EU will be throughly divided, just like it was when the Yanks intervened about Kosovo. It wasn't the EU as a whole that wanted the US to take on the problem (far from it), and it certainly won't be the entire EU that will want the US to bomb Iran.

Considering that there is no such thing as an actual EU diplomacy now (i.e, the decision of the majority doesn't take precedence on the opinion of the minority), the opinion of "the EU" is entirely irrelevant as soon as the Union is divided, and it's back to caring about the opinion of France, Britain, Germany and the like. The EU isn't a country you know.
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
            Iran is openly supporting terrorists groups internationally, and they are telling the international community to go **** off on the NPT.

Two things that would get them into hot water, if not the bombing sites of the USAF, I would think.
            You mean they fund guerillas and paramilitaries??? HOLY SH1T!!1!
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

and it's back to caring about the opinion of France, Britain, Germany and the like. The EU isn't a country you know.
              I thought we'd made it clear just how important the opinions of France and Germany were to us.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

The Canucks have nuclear reactors that don't rely on enriched uranium (called, don't laugh, "CANDU"). We offer Iran some of these reactors in exchange for full and regular IAEA inspections. Since Iran claims that they're just after nuclear power, we'd be calling their bluff. If they accept, everyone wins. If they refuse, Khamenei pisses off both the Reformists and the EU, facilitating support for a stronger sanctions regime.

Didnt the euros just offer this a couple of days ago, to be told by Ahmadinajad that they were treating Iran like a 4 year old, to be handed candy and walnuts?

The EU WAS pissed off, and is now meeting with the Russians, Chinese, and Americans to discuss a UNSC resolution.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

yeah, the offered "Light water reactors???" or something like that. Iran spat in their face...
                  "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

I thought we'd made it clear just how important the opinions of France and Germany were to us.
                    Then why was it so important to lie to the world, big mouth ?

Freedom fries
                    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander
                      When are you talking about regarding the U.S. bombing of Iraqi infrastructure? The Gulf war?
                      Yes.

Are you saying that there can be no justification for attacking a state's infrastructure, or simply in this case there is no justification?

Do not conflate responsibility and justification. If we attack a country's infrastructure and this ends up killing many people, we are responsible for those deaths. That does not neccessarily mean there was no justification; World War II springs to mind as an example of when there was justification in total war that targetted enemy infrastructure. There was no such justification in the Gulf War; Saddam's army proved to be eminiently beatable without such actions.
                      Lime roots and treachery!
                      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Day 1 of campaign against Iran: U.S. bombs Shi'ite country.
                        Day 2: Iraqi Shi'ites revolt and begin attacking U.S. soliders all across Iraq. Kurdistan only part of Iraq where American soldiers are safe.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

Except the Iranians won't take that. They have a right to do what they are doing under the treaty, and they will stand up for that right out of national pride.

It might sound peculiar, but they may well never create nuclear weapons. Iran is oddly moral about some things (because it is a religious state) and I think that nuclear weapons may be one of them. I remember reading that Khomenei condemned nuclear weapons as immoral and unIslamic somewhere. He also had a very tolerant attitude towards transgendered people, so it's unfair to portray him as a cookie cutter conservative.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

I gave a lot of money to the Apolyton bookie, betting that you would say exactly that, and now I'm a rich man.
                            Congratulations. I want my cut, however.
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

As a soverign nation Iran can develop any weapon that it has through international agreement surrendered the right to build. Iran has as much a right to have ballistic missiles as any other state does.

Iran probably is aiming to get nuclear weapons. It is using the guise of the NPT to get the technology it needs to speed up the process. But ssimply stated, if Iran wants nukes and wants to do it legally, all it needs to do is leave the NPT. Then, Iran would have the same rights as any other state not a member of the NPT (like India and Pakistan and Israel) to build nuclear weapons. The issue would be whether members of the NPT would take the necessary steps to fulfill their treaty obligations and cut off all support in nuclear fields, and whatever other limitations on tyrade members of the NPT are supposed to carry out. Sadly the US is working to undermine this by breaking the NPT in possible future dealings with non-member India.

The NPT was set up so that five states would be given a temporary monopoly on nuclear weapons. Those five states were to work to get rid of all their nukes, while everyone would have access to peaceful nuclear power. All five nuclear powers have broken their side of the deal, none plans to get rid of their nukes. If the UK, France, US, China, and Russia are not going to fulfill their final obligation inherent in the deal and get rid of their nukes, why should medium powers keep themselves in a disdatvantage.

As much as the more insane posters here might enjoy thinking about killing tens of thousands of people, all states, even ones with ideas and regimes you dislike, have the right to arm and defend themselves. Don't like it? Work towards a one world government.
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

This is about how much anyone that matters cares about Iran's supposed "right" to build nukes:

Comment

Working...
                                X