Making It Hard For Immigrants To Get By

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Mad Monk

Yes, a "land of immigrants", most of whom went through Ellis Island (you know, that speck of land near Liberty Island?), GAVE THEIR NAMES, and REGISTERED.

Great. And I bet all those people comng trought the border would all do that willingly as well, except that now, unlike back in 1900 before you even get to US territory you need a large number of documents to be allwoed in. How many people coming to Ellis island needed a valid passport and visas? Hmmm....I think its close to NONE.

I have no problems letting more immigrants in, and I agree that the current quota system is stupid, but I would like to know who is coming in, and have them subjected to at least the same level of documentation I am.
    What documentation are you subjected too? BIrth certificate and maybe a state ID if you decided to get one, but not mandatory? I assume all these illegal immigrants to have birth certificates back home. That they can;t get a state ID is due to the fact they didn't get the required paperwork to be allowed legal entry.

Any legal immigrant is subjected to FAR MORE paperwork and identification than any citizen is. Heck, how many Americans don't even have a passport?
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

Since when is Mexico a "land of Immigrants"?

I guess I missed that giant statue of liberty in Veracruz harbor...
      what meaning do you attach to immigrant? to native?

In an aside, why would it be named Veracruz harbor?

Comment

I agree with sending all the US illegal immigrants to Canada. It's the "friend of the minority" afterall. However, what happens if they become the majority?
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

"circle the tim horton's! those mexi-caaaaans wont get our donuts and live!"
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

What documentation are you subjected too? BIrth certificate and maybe a state ID if you decided to get one, but not mandatory? I assume all these illegal immigrants to have birth certificates back home. That they can;t get a state ID is due to the fact they didn't get the required paperwork to be allowed legal entry.
            You forgot Social Security, and some sort of State ID/Driver's License is required for all practical purposes. I cannot work without both, as I have been reminded for the third time recently since our HR department can't seem to submit my Proof Of Eligibility For Employment paperwork properly.

Any legal immigrant is subjected to FAR MORE paperwork and identification than any citizen is. Heck, how many Americans don't even have a passport?
            I said at least, didn't I? Besides, my beef is with undocumented immigrants, who by definition don't even match up to the very low requirements I do.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Tim Horton's is goooooooooooooooood.

Comment

ill have to visit one when i go to VCBC
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker

That's right Ted, say as little as possible so you don't look too foolish
                  Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                    Any legal immigrant is subjected to FAR MORE paperwork and identification than any citizen is.

Legal is the key.

Like MM, I'm all for people comming to this country and trying to find a better life even if they don't want to stay here for the rest of their lives. I'm all for redoing the immigration laws to let more people in but I'm not for people doing whatever the hell they want to and breaking the law. Hell, I'm even for finding a way to make those already here legal(after some fines are paid) but there has to be some sort of order to it. Is it so bad to want an orderly way of doing things other than whoever shows up at the border?
                    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

It's probably already been said, but it merits saying again: who on earth moves from the U.S. to Mexico? It's kind of like our discriminatory policy against Martians running for president. It would be such a travesty, a total injustice, if it so happened that Martians existed, were qualified, and were interested in the job.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Tax dodgers?
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                          It's probably already been said, but it merits saying again: who on earth moves from the U.S. to Mexico?
                          This guy:

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                            Including undocumented workers, KH?
                            It's been 20 years since last amnesty and the statistics say 12 million undocumented workers = 600 000 per year. We let in 250 000-300 000 total each year with 1/9 the population.
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              If Arnold Schwarzenegger had migrated to Mexico instead of the United States, he couldn't be a governor.

So what? You stop people from being Prez or VP if they weren't born in the US...
                              That's a bit more difficult to change...

Comment

I don't think it's that simple, since it dosent's allow for returns / depotations / deaths in the meantime.

Also, "workers" does not include non-working relations, such as children.

Comment

Working...
                                X