Making It Hard For Immigrants To Get By

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
    I don't think it's that simple, since it dosent's allow for returns / depotations / deaths in the meantime.

Also, "workers" does not include non-working relations, such as children.
    a) I'm pretty sure that the 12 million includes all illegal immigrants

b) Obviously it's too simple. But it demonstrates a significant difference between the two countries' immigration policies and the resulting population. As a percentage, our population is more foreign-born than yours. We accept higher levels of skilled immigration and far higher levels of refugee claimants. The US can certainly point fingers at a number of countries for not doing their share in accepting refugees and other immigrants, but it's hard to criticise Canadian culture as being insular in that regard. Australia and Canada accept far higher levels of immigration than any of the other industrialised countries. Almost a fifth of our country was born outside our borders, and that number is only increasing.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

That's a bit more difficult to change...
      Do you really know what the constitutional requirements are for mexico to change its rules regarding political leaders?
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

No idea.

Comment

Just checking. I was going to be pretty impressed if you did.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber

That's right Ted, say as little as possible so you don't look too foolish

You should follow your own advice

ROFL

self pwn3d
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker

You should follow your own advice

ROFL

self pwn3d

I'm stunned at your brilliant responses.

Now getting on to something above highschool level.

How hard would it be for them to change local regulations against immigrants? For a nation that sends millions of it's young population to another country to make a living, surely they would know what immigrants face in a new country and would try to make immigrants in their own land feel more welcome.
                Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Legal is the key.

Like MM, I'm all for people comming to this country and trying to find a better life even if they don't want to stay here for the rest of their lives. I'm all for redoing the immigration laws to let more people in but I'm not for people doing whatever the hell they want to and breaking the law. Hell, I'm even for finding a way to make those already here legal(after some fines are paid) but there has to be some sort of order to it. Is it so bad to want an orderly way of doing things other than whoever shows up at the border?
                  Legal huh? So I assume you have never onece, EVER, broken a law. You alwys follow the speed limit, have never littered, or broken any law, right?

I don't buy the "breaking the law" arguement, because people break the law all the time, in fact, many "law-abiding" citizens revel in their minor acts of lawbreaking. These people have committed a crime, and some punishment is fine, but to act as if this were simply a "law and order" situation is bull. It is all about whether this country will allow immigrants in as we once did. Back in the day all you needed was a ticket, proof you were not sick, intent on working, and that was it. There was always nativist sentiment and anti-immigrant sentiment, but it was not until the immigrants stopped looking like mos Americans that this sentiment won the upper hand.

At the end of the day this is not a debate on legality, but race and culture.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I'm stunned at your brilliant responses.

Never stopped you before.

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

What goes around comes around

w00t for the win!
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk

I said at least, didn't I? Besides, my beef is with undocumented immigrants, who by definition don't even match up to the very low requirements I do.
                      Plenty of udocumented aliens would love to be able to get a social security card and an state drivers license. It would make it far simpler for them to live. But they are not allowed by law to seek them.
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

am i the onyl one who imagines gepap talking with a lisp?
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Stop insulting those of us still in high school

Comment

For a nation that sends millions of it's young population to another country to make a living, surely they would know what immigrants face in a new country and would try to make immigrants in their own land feel more welcome.
                            The Government of Mexico isn't sending anyone anywhere and certainly isn't encouraging anything. What you are seeing is the Government recognizing that people ARE going and, in turn, giving them tips on how not to die and what rights they can expect at their destination.

Its the only compassionate thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

At the end of the day this is not a debate on legality, but race and culture.
                              So countries with more strict immigration laws than the US, and don't even have this debate, are just filled with racists? Or is the US the miracle exception?
                              Last edited by DaShi; May 21, 2006, 23:12.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                                am i the onyl one who imagines gepap talking with a lisp?
                                Or, god forbid, an accent!
                                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                                X