Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

AH! That explains it!
    Yes. I'm getting punchy. I better sleep soon.

edit: actually I'm going home now.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
      How can that be an objective statement?
      Because if we allow arbitrary, unlimited ranges of meaning for every word in the English language, it's pretty useless as a tool for communication.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Because if we allow arbitrary, unlimited ranges of meaning for every word in the English language, it's pretty useless as a tool for communication.
        Tool for communication = brain washing.

Comment

• Stupid, uneducated people are the easiest to brainwash, you silly man.

By the way, there is a difference between intelligence (or lack thereof) and education (or lack thereof). One can be intelligent but uneducated, and one can be dumb but educated. Obviously, the smart (and motivated, I would add) student will get more out of the education, but that doesn't mean you just pat the dumb kid on the head and send him to shop class. At least not without some effort to pound basic English and Math into his skull first.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• I find it very interesting that Marx developed an entire lexicon for the express purpose of brainwashing people.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
              Stupid, uneducated people are the easiest to brainwash, you silly man.
              I don't find that to be try. Strongminded is not the same as intelligent.

Comment

• Strongminded? Is that like stubborn?

Ok, I'll grant you that education doesn't necessarily make people less gullible... at least with respect to subjects they didn't specifically study.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Strongminded? Is that like stubborn?
                  No, not like stubborn. It means you can think for yourself. The people who do well on tests, only demonstrate that they can think like teacher tells them to think, not for themselves.

Comment

• That sounds like a bit of a copout for those who don't test well. And thinking for yourself is all well and good, but what if your thoughts are based on crap (incomplete/incorrect facts)?

Mind you, I agree that some people are simply good test-takers but aren't really any smarter or better educated than some who are poor test takers.

Does that mean that all tests are useless? No. It means that test results are not the end-all be-all of education.

-Arrian

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

No, not like stubborn. It means you can think for yourself. The people who do well on tests, only demonstrate that they can think like teacher tells them to think, not for themselves.
                      Or that they can figure out the type of thinking required for tests and apply it in that situation.
                      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

There are very few stupid people in certain types of cults, actually. In fact, many of them are extremely smart. Brainwashing and manipulation play more on emotions than intellect.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Maybe that's because smarter is better for any reasonable definition of better.
                          This is simply not true. In the absence of any maturity, and ethical and aesthetic sensisibility, "smartness" becomes an absolute liability to both oneself and one's society. Smartness may be a necessary or somewhat necessary condition for "betterness", but it is certainly not sufficient.

The result of smartness without these other things is either a childish buffoon (like you) or a social menace.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Sadly, he's right. Look at me.
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                              Originally posted by Arrian

There are very few stupid people in certain types of cults, actually. In fact, many of them are extremely smart. Brainwashing and manipulation play more on emotions than intellect.
                              I mentioned education as well. I suppose "experience" needs to be specifically included in the category of education - smart people can be tricked, brainwashed, etc. I understand that.

The thread is about education, and I was arguing in favor of, um, trying to educate people (even dumb ones).

Which is easier to brainwash: the stupid, uneducated guy or the stupid, educated guy?

-Arrian

Comment

• I know a lot of smart people who seem brainwashed to me, because they are very materialistic. They don't really care about truth, only what they need to say to the right person to get material reward. A lot of these people do very well on tests, because they have that kind of focus.

That being said, if you can't learn well, like a lot of people, these days, it might be hard for someone to brainwash you, because you don't have the capacity for that, but you aren't going to be able to think too well for yourself either.

Comment

Working...
                                X