No announcement yet.

I want . . . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rounding hereabouts is down to the penny. And special deals for paying in cash are rare.

A few places only accept cash and some others only accept credit cards for amounts above $5 or whatever.

Overall, credit cards add some cost, since the merchant has to pay a certain percentage (up to 3%) of the amount charged to their merchant bank in order to accept card payments. On the other hand, cards are more efficient for the merchant, so it saves some costs too.
    Last edited by DanS; May 13, 2006, 23:44.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Flip McWho
      Well paying by EFTPOS means that you have to pay the whole $9.97 amount whereas if you pay cash it'll get rounded down to $9.95, so savings are kinda minimal.

But then some places do deals for cash. Make it cheaper and the such, but thats becoming less frequent here anyways.
      Wait... why would there be a lower price for paying in cash? I've never seen a 'lower' rounding for cash payments and never saw any deals for cash either.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Re: I want . . . . . .

Originally posted by MrFun
        to shoot people who still make purchases by writing checks.

We don't use horse and buggy anymore for transportation.

Most of us don't use typewriters anymore for writing papers.

Most of us no longer use a record player to listen to music.
        You'll just hate Lancaster County, PA.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          [q=Spiffor]You spend less money while paying cash[/q]

Explain.
          Simple. When you pay with plastic (I won't be speaking about cheques, they are completely irreletevant to the current topic), you tend to think much less about the money you spend, for at least two reasons:
          - you don't have to worry about being able to pay it all at the register (unless you're reaching the red line on your bank account).
          - as you pay at the register, giving away banknotes, you have a physical feeling that there is indeed mucho money that seeps out of your pockets.

The two effects are significant, but the first is especially important in an age where whimsical consumption is encouraged (by ads, by product placement etc). Having only a limited supply of cash in your pockets will make you buy almost only what you set yourself to buy when heading to the store. You won't have the means to indulge in frivolous consumption (I take the meaning of "frivolous consumption" as in "things you had no intent to buy before seeing the product/the ad")

I heard that people spend 15% less on average when they pay cash than in plastic. I also heard that those who pay in credit cards spend more than those who pay with debit cards.
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

This thread is just really funny for me because the "Who wants gay sex" thread is right above this, leading to:

"Who wants gay sex?"
            "I want..."

...wonderful.

(yes, I realize that by posting this I'm ruining the juxtaposition, but it's ok...)
            Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

Originally posted by Mao

(yes, I realize that by posting this I'm ruining the juxtaposition, but it's ok...)

No, it's not ok.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                I heard that people spend 15% less on average when they pay cash than in plastic. I also heard that those who pay in credit cards spend more than those who pay with debit cards.
                Debit cards

Comment

[q=Spiffor]Simple. When you pay with plastic (I won't be speaking about cheques, they are completely irreletevant to the current topic), you tend to think much less about the money you spend, for at least two reasons:[/q]

So what you really meant is that if you are irresponsible, paying with cash saves you money
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

No one ever went into trouble spending more cash than they had in their pocket.
                    Credit cards are the the Beast's invention. Dig that hole.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      So what you really meant is that if you are irresponsible, paying with cash saves you money
                      Yup. And all merchants work very hard so that their customers become irresponsible. Agressive advertising, zomfgbargains that last 2 days, credit... Everything is made so that the customers spend their money, whether they have it or not.
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Emperor Fabulous: The Manager of your B&J should be shoot, I absolutly hate any retailer that wont take plastic. I amd many others simply will not go to such a retailer so your manager is probably F***ing the store out of 10% of your sales potential.
                        Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                        X