X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ted Striker

Well that's nice

And completely irrelevent
    I'm just taking the piss out of you, Ted.

Cali's alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
      The real problem is that gay people always think everyone else is gay... even if they're not.

History books would be full of gay agenda!

Not quite. Not all gays agree on who was/is gay. For instance, I seriously doubt Abraham Lincoln was gay.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

Not quite. Not all gays agree on who was/is gay. For instance, I seriously doubt Abraham Lincoln was gay.
        Why?

Comment

Maybe not, but I'll bet that Henry VIII was
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

Why?
            The claims that others make that Lincoln was gay is based on spurious misperceptions. Oh wow; Lincoln shared a bed with a few other men when he traveled as a lawyer.

Well to start with, it was not unusual for men who traveled together in the nineteenth century to share a bed. The people who INSIST until they're blue in the face that Lincoln was gay distort history and insult real, historical research. They apply today's perception of sexual orientation anachronistically to an earlier era.

Were there historical figures who had sex with others of the same gender? Yes. Were there historical figures who had romantic relationships with others of the same gender? Yes. But there was not the same kind of conception of being gay as there is today.

It's important for the cause of equal rights for gays to finally publicly acknowledge past historical figures who were "gay" but not at the expense of relying on lies and misinformation if it's not true in the first place.

Comment

Buchanan on the other hand might have been

and I have shared beds with guys, and am not gay

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

gay history.

Comment

gay history is about as useful as black history.

I'm sure you guys will say I'm a racist. But I see little point in black history. All it does is divide the races up. You don't see Asian history in schools. It's all appeasement to make minority groups feel better.

ALL history should be taught. No matter who made the history.

Comment

The claims that others make that Lincoln was gay is based on spurious misperceptions. Oh wow; Lincoln shared a bed with a few other men when he traveled as a lawyer.

Well to start with, it was not unusual for men who traveled together in the nineteenth century to share a bed. The people who INSIST until they're blue in the face that Lincoln was gay distort history and insult real, historical research. They apply today's perception of sexual orientation anachronistically to an earlier era.

Were there historical figures who had sex with others of the same gender? Yes. Were there historical figures who had romantic relationships with others of the same gender? Yes. But there was not the same kind of conception of being gay as there is today.

It's important for the cause of equal rights for gays to finally publicly acknowledge past historical figures who were "gay" but not at the expense of relying on lies and misinformation if it's not true in the first place.
                    Great points.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

I'm sure you guys will say I'm a racist. But I see little point in black history. All it does is divide the races up. You don't see Asian history in schools. It's all appeasement to make minority groups feel better.

You have a good point but most of our history is white/Euro centric

I think the black experience is the most central point in our entire history out of all of them, wars and empires were created around the slave trade, the fabric of our culture was also shaped around the slave trade
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

the thing about black history in my school is we never learned about african history. Only about black inventors and civil rights activists and such.

This should be taught in the regular history course. There should be no black history. If you include them, then you have to include asians, native americans etc. Which they don't.

Comment

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                            Buchanan on the other hand might have been
                            No. I'm from his home town. I'm sure it would have come up. Even the revisionists here don't say that about him. He came into office as a divorcee (our only divorced president) and his daughter was first lady.
                            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                            2004 Presidential Candidate
                            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

The history of African-Americans could be seen as a history of a constant struggle to call for all Americans to put into pratice the ideals of democracy and equality. In that aspect, the history of African-Americans is definitely important to learn and study.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

Great points.

You realize this means you actually agree with me on something.

Comment

Working...
                                X