No announcement yet.

Study: Geography Greek to young Americans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW Geography buffs. If you want to be humbled, thy the geo-quizes at About Geography

Comment

Hmmm, question 10 was this:

Which of these countries is the world's largest exporter of goods and services measured in dollar value?

CHOOSE YOUR ANSWER
      China
      United States
      Japan
      France

The correct is result actually is Germany, which even isn't in the list.
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
        BTW Geography buffs. If you want to be humbled, thy the geo-quizes at About Geography
        Well, I took the 20 question NG quiz over there, but the second question refered to a TV show I never watched. That's the only one I got wrong, though I'd argue a few of those questions had little to do with geography.
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Colon, they must use data from 6 or so years ago, in which case the US is the right answer.

Comment

That's a pathological question though, because it's designed for the "average" person to automatically answer incorrectly (with China).

Comment

Originally posted by Winston

Show us Baltimore, please.

OK, that WAS an honest mistake. I do keep confusing Baltimore and Maryland...

Self-owned, though.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                That's a pathological question though, because it's designed for the "average" person to automatically answer incorrectly (with China).
                Luckily I'm very special so I didn't fall for it.
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

not counting the banania votes we're at 82%
                  despite all these iraq threads? come on guys...
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

How many of you can find bolivia?

It is the landlocked country in south america that is not paraguay.
                    I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                      That's an absurd claim. Nobody would willingly make himself look stupid.
                      We're talking about anonymous tests here. My results on standardized tests reflected on the quality of the school or school district, not on the quality of me as a student. I have even less incentive to take a "nationwide survey" seriously. "Alas, the stranger conducting this survey will think that I am stupid for saying that 'clam chowder' is the capital of Iraq. I am slain."

Also, on a bit of tangent, I will willingly make myself look stupid if it means that people will stop asking me to help them with their stupid problems. Whenever somebody at work has a problem with their computer, I tell them to reset the computer, and if that doesn't work then I won't be able to help them. After about a month in the office people stopped asking me to fix their computer for them.
                      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

The correct is result actually is Germany, which even isn't in the list.
                        I believe (in my gut) that Germany is the largest exporter of goods, but not services. Combine the two, and the US should come out ahead.
                        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                        -Bokonon

Comment

I'd bet that Germany was deliberately not added, for precisely this confusion.
                          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                          -Bokonon

Comment

I'm talking about total exports, services included. Ecthy probably is right: Germany only took the top position last year and the questions were probably compiled before that.

Loinburger: it was joke.
                            Last edited by Colonâ„¢; May 7, 2006, 19:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                              I'd bet that Germany was deliberately not added, for precisely this confusion.
                              I hope you don't always rely on your gut feeling and bets the way you're doing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

You have to be kidding right!?

There were only two I even had to think about for more than a split second...

48% of Americans think India is a muslim nation!

The CSI question was funny because a majority of americans did get the answer right! Moral of the story: If you want to teach americans geography, make a TV show about it...

Reckon you need to dust off Carmen San Diego around about now...
                                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Working...
                                X