No announcement yet.

Happy Cinco De Mayo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think Americans will pick strawberries for $20 an hour. We think we're above such things. And it's a mega sucky job.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

heh.

So, I didn't celebrate Cinco de Mayo.

heh. heh.

Since I'm a Chinaman, as someone told me last night as I passed by...

heh. heh.

I celebrated Chinko de Mayo.

heh. heh. heh.

And then I hocked a loogie at the guy who called me a Chinaman.
      B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

Yes, so many Americans are lining up to pick strawberries for 2 dollars an hour.
        2 Dollars an hour is the key there bud. Years of union propaganda has convinced Americans that they don't have to work for **** wages. I've picked strawberries all day before and I can tell ya it sucks. Come to think of it, you won't find a Mexican who will pick them for two bucks an hour. I read an article in the local paper about one of the local strawberry farmers who contracted legal labor from Mexico to pick his berries. You see, Mexicans can get legal work here in the US it's just that they actually have to take a little time and do it legally. I keep hearing all this **** about how hard it is and blah blah blah, but there are people who actually take the time to make money here and do it legally. We should be talking about making it easier for people to get in. I support that fully but this crap about just letting anyone and everyone get in is stupid.

I don't think anyone here would like someone cutting in line to the restroom if they really needed go. In fact most of you here would get downright nasty.

On a sidenote, I think the US goverment should introduce a program of giving free rides to Canada. Surely there are lots of jobs in Canada that Mexicans would love. We could offer bus rides with complementry meals. Pick them up at the Mexican border and drive them to the Canadian border. Lots of empty land up there in Canada.
        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
          Che is right. Cinco de Mayo is kind of fake. Its the Taco Bell of Mexican Holidays.

Makes sense an gringo like Sloww would be the one to note it.
          Mmmmm... Taco Bell.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Give me 20 dollars an hour, and my ass will be squarely planted in a patch. Not literally. I think you know what I mean.
            No stress. No associated heart disease. Where do I sign up?
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

What's wrong with you people?

This thread should be about getting drunk and partying. Not about silly things like immigration.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                This isn't a big deal in Mexico. It's like Chunakah, a holidy that Americans have imposed on a subculture to celebrate that subculture.

In Chicago, Mexican indpendence day is the day that's the big celebration. Cinco de Mayo seems to be bigger for gringos than Chicanos.
                Anybody else thinking of the scene towards the end of Born in East L.A. when Cheech and his Salvadoran girlfriend crawl out of a manhole cover right into the middle of....

Cheech: Hey! It's a Cinco de Mayo parade!
                Girlfriend: What's Cinco de Mayo?
                Cheech: I dunno. But every year, we have this parade!

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                  Maybe they need to raise wages.

That's dangerous, radical, anti-American thinking to propose that workers ought to work for wages they can live on.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                    What's wrong with you people?

This thread should be about getting drunk and partying. Not about silly things like immigration.
                    I tried. I drank alcohol for the first time since Mid January.

Thanks to several weak margaritas at a party, and a ****ty margarita at a towny bar, I only achieved Buzzed twice though. (and never got to drunk)

Jon Miller
                    (might be a good thing though, I didn't need to get drunk)
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      YES, bust the employers. Damn right.
                      Slow, you complain that Mexicans are stealing American jobs, that Americans would gladly pick strawberries for $2 per hour if given the chance (the reality if farm workers in Cali make around $6-$7 per hour not $2 and you still only see Latin Americans working the fields) but then you complain the companies would go out of business if prices would rise. You can't play both sides of the fence here.

Edit: OK, Imran was right. Slow was calling for wages to rise enough that whites would do the work. Given that we have a labor shortage the wage raises would have to be very substantial but I guess for once slow in being consistant.
                      Last edited by Dinner; May 7, 2006, 13:29.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

then you complain the companies would go out of business if prices would rise

I think you misunderstood Sloww's post.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                        X