Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Football Thread VIII - The beautiful game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Locutus
    For a country that always gets kicked out in the first round, if they're present at all, you have a pretty big mouth
    # 1982 - Round 2
    # 1986 - Fourth place
    # 1990 - Round 2
    # 1994 - Round 2

# 1998 - Round 1
    # 2002 - Round 2
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• I actually stood on Brabo in 1986.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by alva
        Btw: the Emirates stadium...cool name!!!!
        Sponsors come and go, but the stadium will always be there, on Ashburton Grove. It'll be widely known as 'The Grove' to Arsenal fans, I expect, but it already has the nickname 'Camel Dome' - because of both its shape and sponsor..

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeH
          It should be noted that Imran totally gets it so we shouldn't ban all Americans from this thread.
          There is just the business of calling the 11 men on the field a 'squad'.

Comment

• It turns out that this non-scandal that Newsnight tried to whip up against Arsenal (which apparantly cost David Dein his seat at the FA) was, as I secretly suspected, cooked up by a Spurs fan.

Quelle surprise!

Comment

• I think David Dein lost his seat at the FA because of his stance re: modernisation, he'll most likely get it back next year.
              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

• Nice unbiased news source btw.
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Nice unbiased news source btw.
                  The original Guardian article, which announced that Peter Barron is a Spurs fan, is subscriber only.

Comment

It should be noted that Imran totally gets it so we shouldn't ban all Americans from this thread.
                    To be fair Mike, I did say "except Imran".

He does still use dodgy terms like "squad", "play" etc. But so does Lawrence and he's a European!!

Note to Lawrence: Sort it out. Imran has an excuse. You don't.

Comment

• Originally posted by alva
                      I actually stood on Brabo in 1986.
                      First WC game I can remember was the one we lost again Spain in 1990, and naturally the one Platt stole from us the next round. I also remember the game against Germany in '94 quite well: we were busy moving into a new place, and one of the first things in order was the TV so we could follow the game while we hauled everything else in our new home. The game against the Netherlands during the same cup is a much happier memory though.
                      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

He gets it? Imran is a Europoseur wannabe!
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Note to Lawrence: Sort it out. Imran has an excuse. You don't.

well i can give it to you in french if you like
                          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Originally posted by Colonâ„¢

First WC game I can remember was the one we lost again Spain in 1990, and naturally the one Platt stole from us the next round. I also remember the game against Germany in '94 quite well: we were busy moving into a new place, and one of the first things in order was the TV so we could follow the game while we hauled everything else in our new home. The game against the Netherlands during the same cup is a much happier memory though.
                            Against England, I had a girl sitting on my lap the whole game, I was in man, 't was a sure thing. I would get laid...until that b*st*rd scored in the dying seconds.
                            Dang, I'm still pissed about it.

Ah well, we kicked some english that evening. One of the few times, I was near a place where rocks where thrown, cars were vandalised...
                            Hmm, not really proud of it, but hey...

Rothlissberger??!! something like that? The only referee I know by name.

The best moment is still the game vs Holland though. " Ze gaan lopen, ze gaan lopen", "Ik weet niet wie er gescoord heeft, maar we zijn al weer op weg naar Mexico", "Danke George!"

Football can be such an awsome game...sometimes.
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

• Alva,

I don't want to rub it in but I did get laid that night. I was in Corfu watching the game, I jumped up when Platt scored, fell over and cut my shoulder open on a broken beer bottle. A girl I'd met took me to her apartment to dress the "wound".....the rest, as they say, is history.....

Comment

• You...you...*** ** *****

nah, good on ya mate. ;-)

That shoulder still hurts? Dunno, when it rains..perhaps? Could be.

Comment

Working...
                                X