Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Football Thread VIII - The beautiful game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't I'll be paying a lot of attention to the first round, too many games with smallish footballing nations. From the 2nd round onwards things should be getting interesting.

Am I the only one who's never been happy with the switch from 24 to 32 teams BTW?
    Last edited by Colonâ„¢; June 8, 2006, 05:34.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• I really like the fact you get to see some minnows in there gives you the chance to have wonderful upsets like Senegal vs France.
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

• Rooney is now officially "injury free" and just needs to get match fit.
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeH
          Rooney is now officially "injury free" and just needs to get match fit.
          Not according to the Glaswegian Rednose, who'll go nuclear if Rooney has a problem with that foot.

Comment

• According to Sven though. And frankly I think most England fans would join me in saying "F*ck Rednose"
            We've got both kinds

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeH
              I really like the fact you get to see some minnows in there gives you the chance to have wonderful upsets like Senegal vs France.
              Meh, you can still have upsets with 24 teams, like Cameroon defeating Maradonna's Argentina in '90, Belgium reaching the semis in '86 or the US defeating Columbia in '94. Maybe not quite as spectacular as, say, a T&T victory over England would be, but let's keep such silliness to qualification games and friendlies.

I guess 32 teams makes better politics and commerce though.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• tonite, UGS - Servette, final round 3rd division playoffs, 1st leg. two genevan teams facing off to ascend to the 2nd division. $4 tickets, and ill be there!
                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                  tonite, UGS - Servette, final round 3rd division playoffs, 1st leg. two genevan teams facing off to ascend to the 2nd division. $4 tickets, and ill be there!
                  Who needs the World Cup when there are fixtures like that?

Comment

• exactly - aint no overpaid prima donnas here. games usually end with 5 or 6 goals, 4 yellows cards, and a red or two.

in fact, these guys dont even have a contract - they are playing for one (only 2nd division and up get contracts here)
                    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• sausage and beer = $5. less than $10 for a full nites entertainment.

Comment

• 0 - 3, 4 yellow cards, when Esteban scored 3rd goal in the 93rd minute, all the fans jumped on him.

promotion is 90 minutes away.

Comment

• Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                          I don't I'll be paying a lot of attention to the first round, too many games with smallish footballing nations. From the 2nd round onwards things should be getting interesting.
                          Is this because Belgium aren't playing? The opening round games are always better than the later rounds - the better teams will show off their skills with a far lower risk, and the worse teams can always spring a surprise.
                          I only wish that the games were being played at 5, 7 and 9 (GMT) so that I could watch them all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus

More than one club. Arsenal have filled their new 60,000 capacity ground for next season already, and there are still probably 50,000 of us unable to get tickets. Some people have been on the waiting list for 10 years and have not got anywhere near a season ticket.

The new stadium was capped at 60k by the authorities who said that the transport infrastructure couldn't accomodate any more.
                            Are you saying you could fill a 110,00 seater most weeks? You couldn't fill an 80,000 IMHO.

Comment

• I maintain that Newcastle could. Hell, I'd travel up from Leeds if I could afford both the season ticket and the petrol. Maybe by giving up holidays forever....

Comment

• Originally posted by reds4ever
                                Are you saying you could fill a 110,00 seater most weeks? You couldn't fill an 80,000 IMHO.
                                No, I'm arguing that we could fill an 80,000, which was the original figure we were talking about, because there are so many people unable to get tickets. Also, as the club allows new season ticket holders to keep their 'silver membership', which gives them first dibs on available tickets for 'family & friends', or touting, in many cases.

So, either buddies of ST holders, or people prepared and able to pay three-figure sums for a ticket are the only people getting a look in. Red Members get a chance of a league game maybe once a season if that. Mere mortals are restricted to League Cup games - and even they've sold well lately.

How many people could Liverpool get then?

Comment

Working...
                                X