Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Football Thread VIII - The beautiful game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe I'm not making my argument clear. The World Cup is a tourism play for the host country. Think about the money that Germany is making on hotel rooms.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but money from merchandising and TV rights do not accrue directly to the host country. A host country would wish to have as many people come to the World Cup as possible and stay as long as possible. It's clear to me that host countries are leaving lots of money on the table in this regard because they aren't taking advantage of the scale that the World Cup offers to them. If giving away tickets would increase attendance, then host countries should give them away. If the countries need bigger stadiums, then they should build them. If it would help for several countries to joint-host, then they should do that.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Its about football, you can't have 8 100,000 seater stadia being half empty for the next 20 years.

Comment

• AFAIK, there are teams/countries in Europe that can fill 80,000 seat stadiums with regularity. Aggregate those stadiums. Put on your event.

FYI, several of the larger stadiums used in WC '94 sit unused most of the year.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• England has one club that could fill 80,000 stadium.....

The low countries have none, Germany and France have none. Spain has 2.......

Eastern Europe has none....

Comment

• I cross-edited you with regard to WC '94. The Rose Bowl is used to its fullest only for the Rose Bowl, a once a year event whose main purpose is driving Midwestern tourism to Pasadena, California.

94,194 attended the WC '94 final at the Rose Bowl.

Comment

• You might not mind that. European football fans would not stand for it.

You have other sports/ college sports to fill those stadia. Football is the only pan-European sport that can generate anywhere near enough the spectators needed to justify large stadia.

Comment

• It looks like Italy/Spain could put on a great WC along the lines that I've described.

The UK has 5 stadiums of roughly suitable size (Wembley, Old Trafford, Millennium, Emirates and Celtic Park). It looks like you would have to pair with another country.
                Last edited by DanS; June 5, 2006, 14:26.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                  It looks like you would have to pair with another country.
                  Never!

We hosted the European Championship in 1996 without the humiliation of sharing with someone else, thankyou.

Comment

• A filled stadium is way, way, WAY more important than a big stadium. Of course, as an American, you wouldn't understand such a thing. Bigger is better, right?

And you grossly overestimate the amount of money a World Cup brings in for the host country, most of the direct profits (from media rights, attendences, etc) go to FIFA and the national FA, the remainder is offset by the cost of building/renovating stadiums and the whole organisation of the thing (which takes a LOT of manpower). The main reason why there is a lot of political opposition to organising WC2018 in the Netherlands like the Dutch FA wants is because it would cost the national government a lot of money that they likely wouldn't be able to recouperate from extra tourism or whatnot (they didn't during Euro2000). Quite frankly, the Dutch team doing well abroad is a lot more profitable, as there are zero costs... (The reason why we'll still make a bid once the political dust has settled is because everyone loves football, including politicians -- money be damned )

Originally posted by DanS
                    Your lack of desire to milk the event is disturbing.
                    Thankfully football is not an American sport, nor will it ever become one. We do not worship money

Originally posted by reds4ever
                    Scrap the Euros/Africans and have the tournament every two years.
                    Why scrap a superior tournament? It's a pity Brazil and Argentina can't play, but I see no need to weaken the rest of the line-up just for that.

And the Africa Nations Cup is already biennial and coincides with the WC every time. They get away with it because it's in a different part of the year (although they're under increasing pressure to change that, especially from South European clubs, which employ a lot of Africans and have to miss them for 2 months every 2 years).

Originally posted by alva
                    Ah, so the dutch never won it then?
                    For a country that always gets kicked out in the first round, if they're present at all, you have a pretty big mouth
                    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

It looks like Italy/Spain could put on a great WC along the lines that I've described.

The UK has 5 stadiums of roughly suitable size (Wembley, Old Trafford, Millennium, Emirates and Celtic Park). It looks like you would have to pair with another country.
                      You realise that the 'UK' does not participate in the World Cup so I'll remind you that already you have to give 3 berths if you wanted to use those 5 stadia.

(Strictly speaking you could probably just tell the Welsh to rollover, but the Scots would rather die than not be at the World Cup when their ground(s) are being used)
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Of course, as an American, you wouldn't understand such a thing. Bigger is better, right?
                        Yes, bigger is much better, as far as hosting the WC goes. Embrace it!

I never assumed that the Netherlands would be a suitable place to host a WC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin

You realise that the 'UK' does not participate in the World Cup so I'll remind you that already you have to give 3 berths if you wanted to use those 5 stadia.

(Strictly speaking you could probably just tell the Welsh to rollover, but the Scots would rather die than not be at the World Cup when their ground(s) are being used)
                          Yes, I did recognize that. Thought something could be worked out with the Scots, though. Besides, the scenario is that the WC has 8 more qualifying teams. Makes it possible to give out another automatic bid.

Comment

It looks like Italy/Spain could put on a great WC along the lines that I've described.

Does n't that post there tell you why it'll never happen?

Comment

• Is anyone up for banning the Yanks (except Imran) from this thread for the next month? It'll save answering a lot of dumb questions....

Comment

• Are you kidding? I've been carrying this POS thread for pages!

I even got a lecture about money as the root of all evil from Locutus. You try that!
                                Last edited by DanS; June 5, 2006, 18:57.

Comment

Working...
                                X