Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Football Thread VIII - The beautiful game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 weeks, seems a bit early to get it going, but why not.....

I'll set it up shortly.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Thierry Henry

This makes up for losing the final and more. Apart from his own awesome contribution, he'll help attract excellence to the club, and keep us where we need to be to pay for the Camel Dome. It's not a silver lining, it's a golden one, and may be even better than winning the CL and losing him.

Of course Spurs are now boasting that Berbatov is better than Henry, and that they have already won next year's UEFA cup, but that's what I'd expect from the Spuds. The Arsenal-Spurs rivalry has been the most intense this year for a long time, and Henry knew that the Totts, who had been gloating nausiatingly all season about a higher league position (until the last day ) would be gloating again if he left. So when he says he loves the club, he means it.

Of course, there are a lot of reasons for his decision to stay, but the fans of other teams that have applauded him this year (like Fulham, Portsmouth, Sunderland) have certainly helped build Henry's positive relationship with English Football. He'd have to trade that away for racist abuse if he played in Spain.

Comment

• Originally posted by alva
        a twist may be where Van Nistelrooy will end up. I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing next to Henry next year.
        Goalhanger Horseface would never be an Arsenal player (there is a mutual loathing) and I'd be surprised if Barca wanted him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus
          Thierry Henry

This makes up for losing the final and more. .
          You won't say that in 5 years.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus

Goalhanger Horseface would never be an Arsenal player (there is a mutual loathing) and I'd be surprised if Barca wanted him.
            I meant at Barca, which of course isn't going to happen now.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by reds4ever
              You won't say that in 5 years.....
              I know what you mean. Players come and go, but silverware is permanent. However, financial stability requires a certain level of consistent success, and Arsenal FC are gambling on that consistency by borrowing heavily for the new stadium that can take the club up a level where it can compete with richer clubs. Thierry will help deliver the success the club needs to avoid doing a Leeds.

Comment

• On that subject, come on Watford!
                (on the internet, no Leeds locals can punch you for saying that. )

Comment

• I'd rather Leeds came up THB

Comment

• Go Leeds!

One for their history (even if they deserved it) and secondly because American Eddie Lewis figures prominantly on that team .
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Well an American scored Watford's first on their way to a 3-0 win, so you were almost right.
                      Shame he's a Packers fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by duke o' york
                        Well an American scored Watford's first on their way to a 3-0 win, so you were almost right.
                        Shame he's a Packers fan.
                        Who?

I know Eddie Lewis because he's on the Men's National Team.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Someone called DeMerit. He must be really good.

Comment

• Well maybe he'll get a cap now .

Though it is I guess a measure of how far the US Men's National Team has come when a starter for a CCC squad, who wins the playoff to make it to the Premier League, hasn't had a single cap for the US squad.

Though perhaps he'll get a chance .

Comment

• Originally posted by reds4ever

No thats completely wrong, a ref can allow an advantage and then go back (irrespective of how the advantage turns out) and give out red/yellow cards for the original foul.

The advantage is awarded to the team that is fouled against to see if they can make something out of the situation. It is not awarded so that the guilty party can escape punishment.
                              As someone said above, if he plays advantage, and the team scores it's only a yellow card because although it was a foul, it didn't "deny a goalscoring opportunity" because they scored.
                              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

• Watford

Though there was a bit of trouble here last night! (Leeds city centre)
                                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                                X