Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Football Thread VIII - The beautiful game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Brazil is going to win again?
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

but I'm hoping for the best.

me too, that they finish ahead of Ghana and Michael Essien. I can just see that match up, Essien v Donovan. could be interesting.
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Looks like McClaren got the runners-up prize.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
          but I'm hoping for the best.

me too, that they finish ahead of Ghana and Michael Essien. I can just see that match up, Essien v Donovan. could be interesting.
          All depends on the offense. McBride should be good, but I'm not sure about Eddie Johnson. The offense MUST go through Donovan and Beasley. Reyna can be a good distributor of the ball, but if we have to depend on Convey or Ralston for offense, then we're going home.

Defense is much improved. Onyewu is a Hell of a central defender. I only hope Arena uses Bocanegra as a CB instead of a RB where he has been disapointing in qualifiers. Maybe Cherundolo at RB instead and who knows, Hejduk at LB (edit, strike that.. he tore his ACL, anyway Lewis will probably be starting at LB no matter if Frankie was healthy or not) . If more defense is needed, Maestroni can come in an play a defensive mid (maybe move Donovan to wing, take out Convey, move Reyna up and put Maestro behind him).
          Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; May 4, 2006, 14:05.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™
            So Brazil is going to win again?
            No European team has ever won in SA, and no SA team has ever won in Europe.
            The change this time (more than before anyway) is that most internationals play in Europe anyway.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Brazil won in Sweden, is that in Europe?

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                England has easily the second or third best team in the world.
                ???
                There's definately more than two, espaecially considering Rooney being out, Owen not yet fit.
                Also, while they have a very good first team, imo they do lack depth (the only exception being Lampard vs Gerard).

One thing that will keep biting the English, will be tiredness...they really ought to play more games during the season, they really need another mickey mouse cup or something.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

brazil didnt win in sweden.
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

You ougth to tell FIFA then. They gave them the trophy.....

Comment

Yes they did:

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

right.

Comment

Jeezes people, back then, only two teams took part.

Mmmk, only one time has a SA team...

Comment

Originally posted by Kropotkin
                            "World football thread" is just code for "Englishmen making pipe dreams around their overated team - a proud tradition since 1st August 1966".
                            Corrected.
                            (I'm assuming everyone was too drunk to make any bold, unsubstantiated claims on 31st July that year)

Comment

It's not like there have been all that many WC's in history, even less WC's that took place in Europe. We're talking about a sample size of less than ten cups.
                              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

No matter, as the Netherlands will take the cup this time We always do well in Germany, and noone's expecting us to do well, which is usually when we're at our best...
                                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X