Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Football Thread VIII - The beautiful game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
    how can you allow the goal to score AND give a yellow?

the ref had to give a red, its the last defender who was beaten who took down etoo to prevent a clear goalscoring oppertunity.

"I would have liked to have taken a few more seconds before I made a decision," Hauge told a Norwegian newspaper.

"If I'd done that, I could have given a goal and given a yellow card as well."
    BBC, Sport, BBC Sport, bbc.co.uk, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

• technically, hauge is right. no one disputes it.
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Goal, playing the advantage, and then he should have given a red once the ball had gone out of play (into the net).
        On what account was it only a yellow card?

Comment

• Cause it wasn't an egregious enough foul. The red was given because it prevented a goal scoring oppertunity.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• im sorry, i cannot find in the laws how he can give a yellow AND a goal for that play.

if you play the advantage, then there is no foul. so theres a goal, and no card. if you dont play the advantage, then its a direct free kick and a red card.
            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Ask the ref, because that's what he said he should have done.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• I'm bored, so let's talk about the World Cup. We've talked at length about England, so if anyone cares (and I doubt anyone does), I'll talk about the US.

Interesting lineup and kind of like the English there are too many good MF and not enough forwards, though not as a result of injury and questionable picks (though leaving on Twellman may be seen by some as questionable).

The key is Donovan. He has played forward with McBride and attacking center MF (his best position, IMO). The problem with him at AMC is who will play the second forward spot? Eddie Johnson is still recovering from injury and hasn't had the same explosiveness since he got hurt, but maybe Arena will get the best out of him as he has in the past. Wolff has done nothing special in qualifying and neither has Ching, though he is tearing it up in MLS, which doesn't necessarily mean anything.

So, if only McBride is ok, a 4-5-1 may make sense, but Arena does perfer a 4-4-2. So I thought about Donovan's role and realized that perhaps a kind of 'tweener' formation could be used, depending on where Donovan is at on the field (he'd be given a free role, of course).

So, I was thinking (Keller is in goal, obviously):

---------McBride
                --------------------Donovan
                ---Beasley---------------------Dempsey
                -----------Mastroeni---Reyna
                --Lewis---Onyewu---Gibbs---Cherundolo

Convey can replace Beasley at a moment's notice. Bocanegra can spell Gibbs or even Lewis if need be. And if O'Brien is healthy (HA!), he can take over Dempsey's spot.

The alternative is:

--------McBride-----Johnson/Wolff
                ---------------Donovan
                ----Beasley----------------Dempsey
                ----------------Reyna
                --Lewis--Onyewu--Gibbs--Cherundolo

If more defense is needed, Reyna takes over for Dempsey on the right wing and Masteroeni plays defensive mid.

The offense will go through Donovan in both formations and Beasley will have to be responsible for providing a spark as well (if he can't, Convey has proven himself able). The defense is led by Onweyu, who is the best center back the US has ever produced (may be damning with faint praise, but Eddie Pope was pretty decent). Masteroni may be needed during the Italy game, and may require Reyna to play on the right (in a strict 4-4-2 diamond), but Dempsey should show in the other matches.
                Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; May 18, 2006, 18:34.

Comment

im sorry, i cannot find in the laws how he can give a yellow AND a goal for that play.

if you play the advantage, then there is no foul. so theres a goal, and no card. if you dont play the advantage, then its a direct free kick and a red card.
                  I've seen several instances of where players have been given yellow cards, despite the advantage being played. It's usually attributed to misconduct rather than the actual foul.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Arsenal rejoice!

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• New corruption scandel breaks out in the Netherlands. Investigations into other major teams in Italy beside Juve...
                      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• Pffft...copycats, go find something original!!!
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

im sorry, i cannot find in the laws how he can give a yellow AND a goal for that play.

No thats completely wrong, a ref can allow an advantage and then go back (irrespective of how the advantage turns out) and give out red/yellow cards for the original foul.

The advantage is awarded to the team that is fouled against to see if they can make something out of the situation. It is not awarded so that the guilty party can escape punishment.

Comment

• It's pretty sad to see how Blatter jumped at the refs case. Ok, he made a mistake but who wouldn't in his position.

Comment

• I couldn't believe what Blatter said, what a w@nker. The ref had a split second to make his decision, Blatters looked at the tape at his leisure.

Comment

• what do you expect? blatter is from the haut valais (oberwallis), no one outside of that area understands what he says in swiss german anyways, so then hes gotta talk in his accented german which is a bust too.

lets get this prediction stuff going.

Comment

Working...
                                X