Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Football Thread VIII - The beautiful game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As I said formation orthodoxy gets you nowhere.. you have to be open to different formations if the situation calls for it. Liverpool played 4-5-1 more than a few times under Rafa Benitez and it didn't seem to hurt they any.

Any different formation will cause mismatches, it is using them efficiently that determines victory.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• and the situation for england, one of the strongest teams in the world cup, is not to play a defensive arragement like a 4 - 5 - 1. they arnt playing to eek out a win, they are playing to smash the opponent.

if youre england and you play 4 - 5-1, youve already lost. even before you make it out of the dressing room.
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Liverpool didn't play very defensively when they ran a 4-5-1.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• because they dont have the personnel to play 4 - 5-1 . you need guys like on fc thun. (or guys they used to have until the owner got greedy and sold them all after they crashed outta europe)
          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• you cannot switch from one formation to another and expect the performance of players to remain the same. even pros have a learning curve.

Comment

• This cracked me up

Especially after Bernie Slaven's little sing song the other day...
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

• I read the future

Italy will beat Brazil

Yanks will lose the 3 matches

I just had to say this somewhere, so later I can link this thread and brag.
                I need a foot massage

Comment

• Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                  I read the future

Italy will beat Brazil

Yanks will lose the 3 matches

I just had to say this somewhere, so later I can link this thread and brag.
                  Just had to quote this so you can't edit it when we laugh at you later on .

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                    no, since midfielders are always supposed to be behind the ball...
                    Huh? None of the midfielders in the English Primer League is always behind the ball. Not even the back fours are always behind the ball. On occasion you'll see a left or right back dribbles the ball to the baseline, then makes a cross.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• I was going to quote that bit. It's absolutely ridiculous. That kind of orthodox thinking will cripple you in the modern game.

Hardly any of the top European sides play a genuine 4-4-2 anymore. If they do have 2 strikers, it's one playing off the other so it's debateable whether it's a 4-4-2, 4-5-1 or a 4-4-1-1 but the formation name doesn't really matter.

Chelsea play 4-5-1, Liverpool do, Arsenal do. Man U effectively do because Rooney has a totally free role and always drops deep. You'd probably claim Barcelona play 4-3-3 but even with them on defence Ronaldinho and Messi slot back into a 4-5-1.

And of course you can switch from 4-4-2 to 4-5-1 and expect the players to stay at the same level, coaches make tactical subsitutions in pretty much every single game where they throw on an extra forward to get a winner or add a defender to defend a lead.

Top class Champions League/International players should definitely be able to adapt like that. When England has so many world class midfielders, and so few world class strikers it's natural to consider playing a 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 especially as that's what most of them play at club level day in day out.
                      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

• Boris Johnson vs the Germans

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.
                          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

• [q=MikeH]I was going to quote that bit. It's absolutely ridiculous. That kind of orthodox thinking will cripple you in the modern game.[/q]

Yeah, I was going to point out that if he's ever seen Liverpool, Gerrard quite often ignores that 'rule', but I figured it wasn't worth the effort.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeH
                              Boris Johnson vs the Germans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TJeC...ckles%20german
                              Saw that on Have I Got New For You. It's great.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• you guys . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X