Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Football Thread VIII - The beautiful game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i thought changing formations doesnt mean anything since they are professional players and have no problems adapting.
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
      i thought changing formations doesnt mean anything since they are professional players and have no problems adapting.
      I didn't say they failed to adapt to the formation did I? What I'm saying is that the 4-3-3 isn't right for the US squad and the friendly showed it. Arena likes to play around with formations in friendlies to see what works and what doesn't. The 4-3-3 doesn't work.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Pre-world cup friendly results are meaningless. They are normally even more lackluster than normal friendlies because none of the players wants to get injured.

The US does have a very tough group though.

27,000 is a great size for a football stadium. Better to have sell-outs and people desperately trying to get tickets for big games than have a consistently 1/3 empty stadium.
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

• For those interested....I found the BBC are doing a stock exchange on the World Cup. I thought it might warrant a separate thread.

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• It seems Pires changed his mind again and went to Villereal after all.

Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

• What do you expect from a Frenchie?
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Entirely OT, but I don't think starting a thread on this would get many replies.

Sri Lanka's secret weapon, Malinga (the Slinga), seems to have a particularly questionable action to say the least. Is he a chucker?

Er, about footie, what time does the England "B" game kick off?

Comment

• Originally posted by duke o' york
                  Sri Lanka's secret weapon, Malinga (the Slinga), seems to have a particularly questionable action to say the least. Is he a chucker?
                  Looks like a chucker to me. How can that action be legal?

Comment

• yep . . . its hakan yakin.
                    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• What's a chucker?
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Robert Green.

Muppet par excellence.

Comment

• Originally posted by alva
                          What's a chucker?
                          Someone who chucks (throws) the ball - that is, doesn't bowl with a proper action. For fast bowlers, the action is supposed to involve the forearm practically brushing the ear, with the arm extended upwards, and while spinners are allowed a little leeway with this, Malinga's action seems to involve the arm at a 45 degree angle between head and shoulder - a definite no-no.

I don't care about England, although I wouldn't have minded watching the match because I love footie in all its forms. Sadly, I don't have council-house telly.

Comment

• Ah, thanks.
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• I don't care about England, although I wouldn't have minded watching the match because I love footie in all its forms. Sadly, I don't have council-house telly.

I highly recommend watching the first Belarus goal to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Robert Green was taking a goal kick, scuffed it and fell over with a serious injury. If it wasn't so funny it would have been tragic. Anywho, the fair playing Belarussian decided that he should score a goal while the keeper was down writhing in agony rather than actually kick the ball out.

Comment

• i woulda done the same.

tomorrow, switzerland - côte d'ivoire in Bâle.

btw, what will YOU be doing on wed may 31st? cuz ill be at the GAME. switzerland - italy, in geneva.

Comment

Working...
                                X