Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush was warned there were no WMD, says former CIA man

Discuss.

The Central Intelligence Agency tried to warn the Bush administration on the eve of the 2003 invasion of Iraq that Saddam Hussein did not appear to have weapons of mass destruction but the warning was dismissed because the US political leadership was not interested in what the intelligence showed, according to a retired senior CIA operative.

The revelation, by the CIA's former European chief Tyler Drumheller, was broadcast on CBS's news magazine Sixty Minutes last night and added to the body of evidence that US and British leaders saw the weapons of mass destruction issue only as a selling point for a war they had already decided to wage for other reasons.

Is anyone really stupid enough to still believe Bush actually thought there were any WMDs in Iraq? Absolutely everything points to the fact that they knew there were no WMDs in Iraq and that the administration deliberately lied to trump up an excuse to enter a war they'd already decided upon. If anyone was obtuse enough to not follow the Downing Street Memos then having the CIA's former top man in Europe speak out about what really happened won't matter, but for the few who still aren't sure maybe this will make a difference.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

"The revelation, by the CIA's former European...

need I continue?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Pekka, that's like saying our US military personnel stationed in Germany or Japan aren't US citizens at all but actually Germans and Japanese. That doesn't make much sense now does it?
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

you make no sense
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Re: Bush was warned there were no WMD, says former CIA man

Originally posted by Oerdin
          Is anyone really stupid enough to still believe Bush actually thought there were any WMDs in Iraq?
          Britains expert on bio/chem weapons was.

If he was, who the hell are you?
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Right. I think there was always a possibility there was weapons. Because I can't possibly know, they had them at some point so I know they had them to begin with, but I'm not allowed to see the investigation material and evidence so how could I know?
            In da butt.

Comment

The best explanation I have seen was on a BBC production about the Chem/Bio man who commited suicide.

He had been investigating Iraq and chem/bio weapons for years. He was convinced Saddam had them.

A source from Iraq came to see him one day. The Iraqi asked if he was stupid. Saddam couldn't admit to having dispossed of all of them, but also wouldn't have dared to have kept some of them. Couldn't he see?

If Saddam admitted disarming, he would open his regime to rebellion and external attack.

If Saddam didn't disarm, he would be attacked by the Yanks.

It was some madman's prisoner dilemma.

The UK's expert on the topic remained convinced Saddam had them.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

But of course, Oerdin knows better, and always did.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

It just proves what I've known all along: I'm smarter than any expert in any subject.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

How high up on Saddam's payroll were you, Oerdin?
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      It just proves what I've known all along: I'm smarter than any expert in any subject.

With a bit of luck.

With worse luck they found gas stores near those arty shells that were in quite good condition. Arty shells they weren't supposed to have anymore.

And then no such luck.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

You really should find and read my position on Saddam's CNB capabilities prior to the opening of the war.

It was that there would be some vague remnants of a long-expired chemical threat and very little else.

I also predicted that some people would point to these completely laughable scraps as evidence of the imminent danger Saddam posed.

Was he in violation of UN resolutions, and probably the ceasefire from 91? Yes. Was there any real CNB threat posed by the Iraqi government by 2003? Obviously not. The sanctions worked. They had completely degraded his capabilities. Chemical weapons don't just sit around for a decade waiting to be used. They leak, go bad and get lost, especially under the dual pressure of sanctions and inspections.

Saddam in 91 had some nasty stuff. Saddam in 03 was a joke. Anybody with a head for science, the willingness to be nonpartisan and the luxury of not being an "expert" could see this.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Was he in violation of UN resolutions, and probably the ceasefire from 91? Yes.
                          Thank you. That's all that is needed, at least you are honest about it.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

Was there any real CNB threat posed by the Iraqi government by 2003? Obviously not.
                            Evidently someone who knew a lot more about it than you didn't agree with you.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

Errr...no.

That's not all that is "needed"

Legal technicalities should not be the basis for going to war.

Just because a leader has some sort of international cover for invading another country doesn't mean he should. I would think that most Americans would be interested in knowing whether Bush was interested in CNB threats as an excuse or a reason.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X