Is it worth buying DVD-movies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loinburger
    HDTV's will probably become more prevalent when they make the switch from analog to digital broadcasting.
    True, but the best HDTVs don't tend to exceed the capabilties of the best DVDs at this point so there's really no reason to switch from a quality standpoint until that changes.
    He's got the Midas touch.
    But he touched it too much!
    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

True, but the best HDTVs don't tend to exceed the capabilties of the best DVDs at this point so there's really no reason to switch from a quality standpoint until that changes.
      Aren't current DVD's maxed out at 480p? And most HDTV's can display between 720p and 1080i, some of them can even do 1080p.
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo

Aren't current DVD's maxed out at 480p? And most HDTV's can display between 720p and 1080i, some of them can even do 1080p.
        It was my understanding that while many DVDs are in that lower quality band, some are capable of higher resolutions (i.e. true HDTV signals).

Comment

I'm pretty sure standard DVD's don't go beyond 480p. I guess we'll have to wait for some of our pundits to settle the issue.

Cnet about the new Toshiba HD-DVD:

The resulting image was jaw-dropping, even on a modestly sized Sony 32-inch LCD flat-panel and a 42-inch Panasonic plasma. Of course, we also auditioned the player on our Sony KD-34XBR960 direct-view CRT reference monitor. Minute details on The Last Samurai HD-DVD--the blades of grass, the cresting waves, the pores of the actors' faces, the stitching of uniforms and tapestries--leapt from the screen with startling crispness. It was among the best high-def images we've viewed, free of the softness and noise that are often seen on some overcompressed or poorly transferred HD cable and satellite broadcasts. The nighttime ninja attack in chapter 19 displayed deep and resonant blacks, free of noticeable false-contouring or blocky artifacts. Of course, the Toshiba HD-A1 can also play standard DVDs at high-def resolution (via the HDMI output only). We lowered our expectations accordingly--upscaled HD video quality can't be expected to compete with material that's natively encoded at high-def resolutions--but the results were more than acceptable: the HD-A1's video-upconversion-processing capabilities were on a par with those of the better players we've seen.
          Who wants to see Tom Cruise's pores up close?

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Nostromo,

After doing a little reading it seems that DVD native format is 480i. Progressive scan DVD players can convert this signal to 480p. So it looks like I'm wrong here.

(edit) Even further reading tells me that you were correct in that native DVD format it 480p. It converts to 480i for non progressive scan equipment.
            Last edited by Sikander; April 26, 2006, 05:27.

Comment

Buy used DVDs, as well as wait for slashed price breaks at retail stores. Unlike VHS, the quality does not noticably degrade on a used DVD.

I get most DVD movies for $5-10 each that way...
              Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
              ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Actually, native DVD format is 480i, not 480p. A progressive DVD player "weaves" the 2 fields together on film source and deinterlaces the 2 fields together on video source.

However, standard definition TV 480i broadcast is 640x480, while DVD 480i is 720x480. There's also more color information on a DVD than a standard definition TV broadcast, among other things. This all shows up to good effect on HDTVs.

Bottom line is that the DVD format is pretty good on most materials, even in a world of high definition very large displays. Of course, if the cost difference between DVD and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray is pretty low, I would get the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray. The difference out of the gate seems to be pretty low, when you look at the $500 Toshiba HD-DVD player. That's about how much the first DVD players cost about 10 years ago, and inflation has marched on since that time.
                Last edited by DanS; April 26, 2006, 17:08.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                X