No announcement yet.

Is it worth buying DVD-movies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my fav's is the "Master and Commander" Collector's Edition, with all the info in a booklet, a map of the area the movie covered, and the nice packaging involved:

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

How often will you watch it (apart from repeats on the tele)?
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

There's some cool stuff out there. Don't get me wrong. It reminds me of the cloth map in Ultima IV and the nice packaging for the original SM's Pirates! that was very durable. But those were used a lot.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Its definitely worth it if you have kids. They can watch the same DVD a zillion times.

But other than that, I don't see the point, really. Unless you really want to see a movie and can't find it at your local Blockbuster. That's why I like Netflix.

As for HD-DVD and Bluray, you'll be stuck with a few mediocre /crappy movies (read: blockbusters) for a long, long time. No real choice. And that's assuming that either one of these standards succeed. Its possible they'll both fail.
          Last edited by Nostromo; April 24, 2006, 16:23.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™
            The final solution

Comment

I'm hoping one of the standards succeeds, just so that I can flaunt my future billions with a well-stocked library of expensive high definition whichamacallits. In all honesty, I'm pretty content with the quality of DVD's on an HDTV. (Though maybe I'll be singing a different tune in five years when I upgrade from my CRT to a $20,000 80' etched angel's skin or whatever happens to be state-of-the-art when I buy a new TV.)
              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I think having a few DVDs of favorites is reasonable. But I don't even watch them much (I have simpsons.. both normal and extended edition LOTR.. Holy Grail, some Anime.. and a few other movies..).

It's nice if you are with some people (or even by yourself perhaps) and are bored and want to watch something, but dont' like what is on TV.

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger
                  I'm hoping one of the standards succeeds, just so that I can flaunt my future billions with a well-stocked library of expensive high definition whichamacallits. In all honesty, I'm pretty content with the quality of DVD's on an HDTV. (Though maybe I'll be singing a different tune in five years when I upgrade from my CRT to a $20,000 80' etched angel's skin or whatever happens to be state-of-the-art when I buy a new TV.)
                  DVDs are high quality, even on a very large screen. The marginal difference from DVD to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray won't be night-and-day, especially if the source is film rather than HD camera.

Movies on HDNet Movies are better than DVD on a very large screen, but normally the difference doesn't wow you, like HDTV does versus standard definition TV. HD-DVD/Blu-Ray is variable bitrate whereas HDNet Movies is constant bitrate, so it may be slightly better than HDNet Movies in some scenes.

As always, YMMV.
                  Last edited by DanS; April 24, 2006, 19:13.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I've bought several. But I don't think I'll buy anymore. I've just bought movies I like to watch over and over. The terminator movies and stuff like that.

Most movies aren't good enough to own anyways. I just borrow from friends. One of these days I'll return these Harry Potter movies I borrowed. .

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      One of my fav's is the "Master and Commander" Collector's Edition, with all the info in a booklet, a map of the area the movie covered, and the nice packaging involved:

yep, I got that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                        I don't have an HD TV so I'll stick with my regular DVDs. I still have a bunch of VHS taps of movies from the 80's and 90's so I'd like to get the most out of my DVD collection before I upgrade.
                        I still have the entire Star Trek movie series on VHS, and I got to see it once. (mainly because the TV broke down shortly afterwards and we never bothered to replace it)
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I don't have much use for most of the extras on the special editions or the collector's editions. Chances are that I'll never watch the bloopers or the director's commentary, the "making of" scenes, or any of that stuff. Either a movie is worth owning or it's not and, for me, none of the extras is going to persuade me to purchase a movie that I wouldn't already buy.

And yes, kids really will watch a movie a zillion times. It's worth it to own some of their favorites.

As far as HD-DVD and Bluray, I'm happy with my basic TV set. Even if one of those two succeeds, I'm not convinced that I'd be able to tell the difference on most of the stuff that I watch. So I won't be going out and upgrading anytime soon.

Comment

The making off included with Band Of Brothers and A Bridge Too Far are pretty interesting actually. They also have interviews with veterans worth watching. The cut scenes featured with Alien are also nice, including one that really, really, really should have been in the movie.
                            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

When I wrote the last post, I didn't consider cut scenes. I'll watch those.

Comment

I like to watch the commentary sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                                X