Is it worth buying DVD-movies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth buying DVD-movies?

I've been watching quite a few movies on DVD of the late, mostly borrowed, and I'm considering to start buying the better ones. The problem is that I'm not sure how long they'll last, considering that the next-generation media are (HD-DVD & Blu-Ray) are getting released. I don't want to spend a whole load of bucks on DVD only to find out that the format is worthless 5 years from now and I can start all over again.
    So, do you think I should hold out for a while until I can buy the movies on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray? It'd be nice that if I buy a movie, I can get to watch it for at least a decade.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

The current generation of DVDs should be backwards compatible with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players. The only question is whether you'll be kicking yourself in five years for not being able to get the most out of your kickin rad HDTV with your old DVD collection.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I feel it's best to be so out in front of the curve that you end up not buying anything at all.

Comment

The worst thing about it are the various special editions. You can't release a movie once, there has to be the New Release, the Classic Release, the Directors Cut, the Extended Version, all of them with different scenes shown in different ways.

Comment

Neither HD-DVD or Blu-Ray will be around for a long time.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Best Buy is selling an HD-DVD player for $500. I'll probably buy one when the price drops 80-90%.

Comment

I wouldn't hold out for the new tech honestly. Only a tiny percentage of people can see DVDs at their best resolution now.
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

HDTV's will probably become more prevalent when they make the switch from analog to digital broadcasting.

Comment

The final solution is to get filthy rich, and hire a butler who updates your hardware and your movie collection whenever a new format is released.
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™
                    The final solution is to get filthy rich, and hire a butler who updates your hardware and your movie collection whenever a new format is released.

QFT
                    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Is it worth buying DVD-movies?

Nup. They keep gunking up the heads on my video player.

HDTV's will probably become more prevalent when they make the switch from analog to digital broadcasting.

Seriously?

Don't you guys have digital broadcasts going yet?
                      I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Not mandatory. Which I think is what he meant.

I don't use it,not worth it yet imo.
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

alva is right... digital isn't mandatory until 2008-9, IIRC. You have the option of digital programming through your cable provider and satellite is all digital.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

btw Imran, the WOrld cup is somewhat of a testcase for Digital TV. Should be interesting.

Comment

I don't have an HD TV so I'll stick with my regular DVDs. I still have a bunch of VHS taps of movies from the 80's and 90's so I'd like to get the most out of my DVD collection before I upgrade.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X