Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting Season has Begun!

Ok, here is the short story:

I was almost killed when I hit a deer on the way to work last night. Go to Picture.

Long story:

I speed. I speed alot. Generally about 20 mph over on the highways and interstate but only about 5-10 on city roads. A few weeks ago, I got a speeding ticket. A week later, I got pulled over again, but the Deputy gave me a break. With a new baby girl, I decide that I can't afford to risk loosing my license (work would probably frown on this as well ) or the fines (safety is another matter that I would be happy to discuss). I vow not to speed anymore. Ok... I vowed not to go anymore than 5 over, but you get the idea...

Fast forward to last night. It's 10:35 pm CDT and I'm heading to work, going about 68 mph north bound on I-43. I going under the bridge for County O when all of a sudden, out of nowhere, there is a deer in the middle of my lane (it probably just came on the I and i didn't see it because of the bridge). In the split second before I hit him, I manage to hit the break (slowing to about 60-63 mph) and yell out two words: "Holy F**K!"

Smash! (actually sounded more like a loud thud)

Part of the windshield gets shattered (drivers side), I can see a big dent in the hood, a smear mark and a bunch of splatter on the window and hood. I don't have a phone with me and my radio is at work. I am unhurt and the car is running fine and I know its only 8 miles to work. I drive the rest of the way there and report it as soon as I went in. Of course I didn't go right in as I wanted to checkout my car. The dent was big and it got some of my bumber. Hell, there was bone sticking out of my grill.

Work goes by with no problems and I go to check out my car in the daylight and better asses the situation. Turns out he was at about a 45 degree angle on impact, butt first and smack dab in the middle of the hood (meaning he was mostly on the drivers side). The sharp slant of the Saturns nose took out its hind legs (with some of the aformentioned bones sticking in the grill) and his butt slams into my hood (the smear on my is probably mostly sh1t). Since I'm going about 60 mph, his butt slams into his gut and explodes. This mess starts to go forward and up making his front end (neck and head) slam into my windshield, shattering it. Here is where I was nearly killed. I was lucky that his head hit very close to the windshield frame, or it would have gone straight through, kissing my in the face, most likely killing my instantly. It then flew up and over my car. Somewhere along the line, it must have ripped in two as my Sgt, who was about a mile back when this happend, had to swerve to miss a pile of deer only to run over another.

Anyway... I lived and have no injuries. The deer died instantly. And I'm looking forward to some venison.
    Attached Files
    I know someone who has hit a deer
    34.62%
    I have hit a deer.
    11.54%
    Winston is right.
    23.08%
    I ran over a banana.
    30.77%
    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Ouch. I know of a few people who have died from hitting deer when going too fast.
    One thing you gotta ask yourself... where are you now? -- James Blunt lyrics

Comment

Yep. Deer along the roads are a menace. There's quite a few accidents involving them around here too.
      But then again, it's still much better than hitting a moose, which is more common where i come from. Few people come out of these without injuries. And you can forget about your car in most cases.
      What?

Comment

My insurance chick just left (hottie ). Over $1,400 in damages. Only $100 deductable. She wrote me a check for $1,310.61 on the spot!

She also got the auto glass shop to match her quote on the glass of $330. This is all I'm planing on fixing.
        I just made almost $1,000!!!
        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

What?

Comment

and now, bambi cries herself to sleep because her mother was brutally killed by steel monster

Nah, glad you're okay
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Gee I hope the frame for your front window isn't out of shape. If so, that will get expensive.
              It doesn't look like it from the picture, but it doesn't take much.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

hmm... I never though of that.

Oh well. The windshield is getting replaced tommarow. I guess I'll find out then.

Comment

Re: Hunting Season has Begun!

Originally posted by Donegeal
                  I speed. I speed alot. Generally about 20 mph over on the highways and interstate but only about 5-10 on city roads. A few weeks ago, I got a speeding ticket.
                  Anyone else have a great sense of satisfaction from a cop getting a speeding ticket?
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I was almost killed when I hit a deer on the way to work last night.
                    The dent was big and it got some of my bumber.
                    That's a bumber.

Comment

Re: Re: Hunting Season has Begun!

Originally posted by OzzyKP

Anyone else have a great sense of satisfaction from a cop getting a speeding ticket?
                      Not sure about everyone else, but I knew you'd be happy.

The reason that I mentioned it was because of the validation I feel about speeding. I descide not to speed any more and thats when I get into my first accident.

And like I have been saying for years... the only way I'm going to get into an accident is if I hit a deer or its someone else's fault.

Comment

Damn straight.

Speeding
                        Donegeal
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Hiting dears

Hiting other cars
                          Try it some time.
                          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                            Hiting other cars
                            Try it some time.
                            Originally posted by Donegeal
                            the only way I'm going to get into an accident is if I hit a deer or its someone else's fault.

No thanks.

Comment

I have been unsafly driving from tiredness a time or two.

Sometimes, nothing seems to work, and you have to be there.

Jon Miller
                              (pain is generally what always works)
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                              X