Apparently, Windows Vista sucks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oerdin
    What I'd really like to know is why such a powerful work hourse of a computer is needed to run Vista. What does it really do which the average person is going to need which would justify the bloat over the already demanding XP?
    This is 2006, if XP is "demanding" for your computer you're clearly not the target for Vista.

To use the full graphical capabilities of Vista, you need a DirectX 9 card or higher. Depending on the resolutions you'll run the computer in, 64MB to 256MB of memory is required on the video card.

You should have at least 512MB of RAM also.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
      But they've said so many things which haven't come true.
      You mean by delays? That's not something they can completely control.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

XP really isn't that demanding. On a three year old computer at the highest resolution, it runs pretty smooth for me.
        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I have a four year old computer which was a higher up model when I bought it. It's still pretty good since I can run games like Oblivion on it but I certainly don't see an upgrade to Vista being in the works. That would have to wait until I buy a new one which will likely be in 6 months to 1 year.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Verto

Of course it's a mess. It's a skeleton of what it was supposed to be, and it's going to be shipped after three years' delay. Whether or not it will exceed OS X Tiger is irrelevant; how it stands up to Leopard will be what matters, and something we'll be able to do soon enough - assuming Vista's launch date doesn't slip again
            But we haven't been told in what way it will surpass Tiger -- at least for the ordinary user.

According to Thurrott it has lousier permissions control, a worse UI, and it is basically a copy of OS X Tiger. It's a giant turd wrapped in the Aero interface.

Spotlight like search? I've had that for over a year. Same with smart folders. A revised graphics engine for a prettier UI? OS X has had that since launch with Quartz. All the other graphical tricks I've seen Vista do are things OS X has been able to do since Panther and in some cases since launch. Now they are even copying iPhoto.

Frankly, while there might be some improved plumbing in the OS, for the average user it's just going to be Windows XP with prettier graphics and a few more toys. More and more people are saying that for practical purposes it's Windows XP SP3.

After six years to develop this thing, Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves.

And why the hell does it have such steep system requirements. Tiger will run acceptably on Macs from 1999 (if you max out the RAM), and according to Thurrott it does pretty much what Vista will do.

Vista is shaping up to be a major disgrace.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
              asher is like that guy in texas that sniped people from a bell tower.
              Except he's a lousy shot.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Fascinating psychological elements here.

Why do you care so much, Aggie?

You're making it like Thurrott, which is historically prone to emotional, misguided rants that he later retracts or corrects, thinks MS is a steaming pile of ****.

His conclusion, which you conveniently ignored, is:
                OK, let's not get silly here. I don't hate Windows Vista, and I certainly don't hate Microsoft for disappointing me and countless other customers with a product that doesn't even come close to meeting its original promises. I'm sure the company learned something from this debacle, and hopefully it will be more open and honest about what it can and cannot do in the future. But you'd have to be special kind of stupid to look at Windows Vista and see it as the be-all, end-all of operating systems. It some ways, Windows Vista actually will exceed Mac OS X and Linux, but not to the depth we were promised.
                And, in the end, Thurrott's opinion doesn't mean anything. He's just a simple journalist that's gone off the deep end on many occasions. He fluctuates from saying a MS Product is the best thing since sliced bread, and the next day he calls it a trainwreck with no hope.

He makes for good press, which is how he makes money.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                  Except he's a lousy shot.
                  Aggie, baby, debating with people like you and Urban Ranger in tech threads is like shooting fish in a barrel. They're just too stupid to know they've been hit.

Comment

See... I was right...
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

When you have all finished wetting yourselves arguing in the playground you might care to think of what this means in the real world.

I don't really care what is inside the box as long as it works, doesn't crash too often and runs the applications I want. Three or four years down the line from now I, and several hundred million other people, will have bought a new PC running Vista, which will be sorted into a useable form by then and will do all that I require (yes, XP already does that).

By that time Microsoft will be even richer, Apple will still be a minority interest and Linux will still be for people with too much time on their hands.

And jerk-off journalists will still be writing navel gazing articles read only by a few hundred obsessives.
                      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

You lose the thread.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

lol Aggie makes a good point LOL
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Behold, the concluder from Ireland.
                            be free

Comment

these discussions are always epic.
                              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I only open these threads to watch the two A's fight it out.

It's like a boxing match, you know who's going to win, and he's great at it, but sometimes you think (and maybe even hope) the other might just win for once.
                                be free

Comment

Working...
                                X