No announcement yet.

"Give me your money, or I'll kill you"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a look at the OP. There are some words and stuff in there.

Comment

Have a look at the mirror and you see crazy person.

But ah, I don't have the time to argue with you, I have to go and do some .. rather stupid work (for free of course).

Be back later to check your unilateral attacks of idiocy and low self-esteem

Ta-ta, suckers!
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

These punks will have the book thrown at them. Several trials. Multiple jurisdictions. Attempted murder of a federal agent, etc.

Apparently, they do not fear these things.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I wonder what would happen if they attempted to carjack a diplomat with his bodyguard and convoy? If they came across a stretch limo stopped at a light would they be able to resist? How would they fare against military trained agents armed with real assault weapons?
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander
            Oh there's no secret about it, Assault Pistol sounds so much sexier and dangerous than the proper term - semiautomatic pistol that neither journalist nor police spokesman can resist using it. It is probably a Tec-9 or some similar garbage, significantly less effective a weapon than what the cops carry in their holsters.
            Heh. AKA, dumbed-down writing for the masses.

One thing journalists are taught is to write as simply as possible because the average education/comprehension level of the reader is eighth-grade. If they write above that, they risk losing the reader.

So, if a story seems written so that an eighth-grader (or lower) can understand it, you (speaking in general), my dear college graduate, are not imagining things.

Gatekeeper
            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Some times, I really wish we could send the Marines or the National Guard out on the streets and have them really intimidate the hell out of punks like these.

Being knocked to the ground and held at gunpoint by a squad of marines all yelling and cursing at them just might leave a lasting impression on some of these creatures.
              "Politics is to say you are going to do one thing while you're actually planning to do someting else - and then you do neither."
              -- Saddam Hussein

Comment

Oh me, my stereotypes are taking over.

Given no information to suggest it, I have pictured these criminals as black. The sad thing is that it is so often the case and this just sounds it doesn't it?

Comment

Yea, the Skorpion. That one could be called a Machine Pistol in english, though it is probably the only one. An Assault Pistol on the other hand should by rights be a selective fire weapon.
                  There is no one standard for an assault weapon. Selective fire is one of the many criteria accepted. In this case, the term is probably being applied because the weapon had a large magazine. it was probably, as you said, a Tec-9, which has enough of a distinctive look that even somebody who's crapping his pants getting mugged is going to remember later. A tec-9's magazine is also located outside the grip, another one of the criteria accepted.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by kittenOFchaos
                    Oh me, my stereotypes are taking over.

Given no information to suggest it, I have pictured these criminals as black. The sad thing is that it is so often the case and this just sounds it doesn't it?
                    Given that it's a violent crime taking place in Washington DC, then yes, the odds are probably overwhelming.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

One thing journalists are taught is to write as simply as possible because the average education/comprehension level of the reader is eighth-grade. If they write above that, they risk losing the reader.

Of course. If a journalist writes something stupid, it's not because they are uninformed; they're just doing it so that their moronic readers can follow along.

Christ, with attitudes like these, it's no wonder that the number of newspaper subscriptions is plummeting nationwide...
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

There is no one standard for an assault weapon. Selective fire is one of the many criteria accepted. In this case, the term is probably being applied because the weapon had a large magazine. it was probably, as you said, a Tec-9, which has enough of a distinctive look that even somebody who's crapping his pants getting mugged is going to remember later. A tec-9's magazine is also located outside the grip, another one of the criteria accepted.
                        There was a standard definition of an assault weapon until politicians needed to inflame the fears of the American public by defining any military style arm as such. Specifically an assault weapon is a selective fire rifle or carbine with detachable box magazines. Weapons which are designed to be fired entirely or primarily in full auto mode are described as either machine guns or submachine guns depending on the type of ammunition they are designed for.
                        He's got the Midas touch.
                        But he touched it too much!
                        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                          Who said anything about robbed necklaces? No one.

You are imagining things Winston, second sign of insanity.
                          The men left with the salesman's gold chain, which bore a cross worth $2,200,

I think that's a necklace isn't it? Only on men it's called a chain. Women wear necklaces.
                          One thing you gotta ask yourself... where are you now? -- James Blunt lyrics

Comment

There was a standard definition of an assault weapon until politicians needed to inflame the fears of the American public by defining any military style arm as such. Specifically an assault weapon is a selective fire rifle or carbine with detachable box magazines. Weapons which are designed to be fired entirely or primarily in full auto mode are described as either machine guns or submachine guns depending on the type of ammunition they are designed for.
                            Well, unfortunately, they've managed to muddle the language enough now that I certainly didn't know it used to be that specific.

Anyhow, this isn't really the reporter's fault. He used the term as it's now used.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Well, unfortunately, they've managed to muddle the language enough now that I certainly didn't know it used to be that specific.

Anyhow, this isn't really the reporter's fault. He used the term as it's now used.
                              It's unfortunate because the definition as it stands is completely useless other than its emotional connotations. And I do blame the press for:

1) Not being aware that the vast majority of journalists have zero knowledge about weapons in general or gun culture in the U.S.

2) Being quite happy to be fed a bill of goods by certain politicians and the police because it jibed with their own anti-gun prejudices as a class.

3) Not performing their duty to inform, but instead allowing themselves to in fact be the primary propogators of misinformation and the emasculation of useful terminology which would allow others to fill the information gap that most of the press won't / can't fill themselves.

The whole thing is reminiscent of the changes made in terminology regarding racism etc. I guess if you are losing an argument because the facts aren't on your side all you have to do is change the meaning of words and your opponents are now wrong and you are right.
                              He's got the Midas touch.
                              But he touched it too much!
                              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

Of course. If a journalist writes something stupid, it's not because they are uninformed; they're just doing it so that their moronic readers can follow along.

Christ, with attitudes like these, it's no wonder that the number of newspaper subscriptions is plummeting nationwide...
                                *whistles* Great way of twisting my words and intents to suit your purposes, Drake. You oughta apply for a job in the tabloids.

BTW, Drake, what's your job/profession? I'd like to know so, based on you alone, I can stereotype the entire damn thing. Don't thank me. I'm just returning the favor.

Gatekeeper
                                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Working...
                                X