Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas prices

Okay...so here is my question.

How can gas prices rise because of fears when the supply is stable? Also, when the fears are never realized, where does all the extra money go? And why are we not doing something about this?

oil companies + extortion = bad.
    "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

this just in. I heard Exxon's profits (or maybe it was stock value) has surpassed Walmart. That's where all the money goes.

And there are fears. Look at what is happening in Venezuela. Until that situation calms down, prices will continue to rise.

It's no coincidence oil companies have been making record profits since 9/11 and when Bush took office.

Comment

I think otbot is sure oil companies + extortion = good.

Comment

Heres my question, why do you call it gas when its a liquid? And what do you call actual alternative fuel that is a gas?

as for the OP, we occasionaly have 'petrol shortage scares' due to truckers and the like threatening to blockade refinerys and such. The petrol price goes up, people panic buy at inflated rates. Then oddly enough the prices go down again and everyone left driving around with very expensive full tanks of petrol, the fools
        Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

gasoline.

Comment

Well, thinking about it, if you're queueing up for fuel at a station, veins bursting in heads, fists shaking, etc. when while the guy in front fills his tank, and pockets with fuel, there's a collapse of order.

Of course the eco-fundie loonies would have us think this is what it'll all be like in 20 years or so anyway, so clearly we should get used to it!

Comment

Re: Gas prices

Originally posted by Kaak
              Okay...so here is my question.

How can gas prices rise because of fears when the supply is stable? Also, when the fears are never realized, where does all the extra money go? And why are we not doing something about this?

oil companies + extortion = bad.
              Expected supply in the future goes down, expected future price goes up. What you going to do? Buy now, rather than later. Therefore price goes up now too.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Yes, basically consumer confidence falls, demand rises, price rises. Same reason inflationary expectations lead to higher inflation

Comment

gas prices aren't going to get any better.

Basically the world will not be able to produce enough oil to meet growing demand.

Comment

See, this is where the problem lies. Some people will read that and think "will not be able to produce enough oil" means we don't have enough oil period.

Which is simply bull****.

Of course eco-mentalists and panic-spreaders are quite happy to use this misunderstanding to bring us down to their level.

Comment

Re: Gas prices

Originally posted by Kaak
                      Also, when the fears are never realized, where does all the extra money go? And why are we not doing something about this?
                      The extra money goes to the companies charging you all that access money that they don't really have to, are you daft? Most of it will end up in the CEO's pockets, a little will end up in the shareholders pockets.

You are doing nothing about it, since for some reason you buy the fuel regardless. Wether for work, holiday or leisure...aparently neither one is possible without paying the gasoline man.

OTBOT-ed
                      "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

I have been seeing it up over 2.50 recently

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

'Gasoline' is just another example of Americans choosing stupid words just to be different. Just as bad as calling a phone a 'Cell' or a bottom a 'fanny'.
                          Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

To address the comment about "greedy" oil companies, why are so many people blasting the oil companies for turning a profit, but saying nary a word about the government's gas tax which add quite a bit to the price per gallon?

It's OK for the government, but not for the people actually providing the gasoline?
                            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                            Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

The government has to maintain the roads and the environment....

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                              X