I've been exposed to tuberculosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been exposed to tuberculosis

Yup, just what the title says. I just found out today that one of the patients that I've been taking care of for the last two months has been in a room with someone who has TB. Not only that but the one with TB was always coughing and stuff whenever I went in to get the other guy (Mr. Butts) yes, that's his real name. Anyway Mr. Butts usually winds up coughing in my face a few times when he's been in the shower.

My employer is trying to act like it's no big deal and "we aren't even sure if he has it, it was actually the roommate." Yeah, well then why is the TB test I got on my arm today making a big freeking red circle. Yes, your not sure but that's suddenly why you had me fitted for a mask today. When the nurse went over some of the symptoms of TB, night sweats, unexplained weight loss, unexplained fever....I'm sitting there going yes, yes, yes. I've been loosing weight since I started working at that facility but I just figured it was because I was being active and had changed my eating habbits. Over the course of the last couple of weeks I've been getting fevers at night and in the morning for no reason. Had one so bad the other night I took some nyquil thinking I was coming down with something...but nothing.

Really freeking out here a bit. My daughter already has bronchil ashma as well as my husband and his mother has emphazema. How crappy would I feel if I passed this on to her or them not to mention to my pregnant daughter. And to top this all off they still want me to continue to take care of him. "Well you'll be provided with gown, gloves, masks." That would have been so helpful before. Husband doesn't want me to continue to take care of that patient, even wants me to get another job. Which is hard for me because patient care is all I've ever wanted to do.

I'm not really sure how to feel about this....really freeking out.
    Last edited by Tiamat; April 4, 2006, 22:10.
    Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
    Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
    Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
    You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

See a doctor, ASAP!

Comment

You think? Am going to make an appointment with my doctor tomorrow. Husband says not to worry and borrow trouble until we know something for sure, but he's pissed and says if I get it to sue them. I try to tell him that's just part of it when you are a health care worker. It's the risk you take, however, working for Hospice ususally the patients we see have alzheimers, dementia, cancer or something of that nature that isn't communicable. My problem is how long did the facility know about the one with TB before they told us. And why did they not take any precautions.

This would be where I need Dr. Strangelove.
      Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild

Comment

Doctor...tomorrow...good.

Even if you have it, you probably won't be able to sue. It'll probably get swept up into a workers' comp. claim...which doesn't pay much.

It's possible to sue under a few exceptions, such as intentional injuries caused by your employer. And this kind of reckless conduct come close, but I certainly don't know Texas workers' comp law. If you get it, see good workers' comp. lawyer, and ask if this is an exception.

God bless, good luck, and where the heck is Dr. Strangelove when you need him?

Comment

My was exposed a couple of years ago too.
          She had the bad luck, it was the bad tbc kind.

As I understand it, there's two kinds; one you have but can't transmit (closed tbc) and one where you can pass it on (open tbc).
          You start of with the good kind but if left untreated it can/will turn into the bad kind.

As long as the patient had the good kind, there's nothing to worry about.

Meh, I lack technical terms.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

God bless, good luck, and where the heck is Dr. Strangelove when you need him?

He just posted in another thread, so facts should be on the way.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva
              My was exposed a couple of years ago too.
              She had the bad luck, it was the bad tbc kind.

As I understand it, there's two kinds; one you have but can't transmit (closed tbc) and one where you can pass it on (open tbc).
              You start of with the good kind but if left untreated it can/will turn into the bad kind.

As long as the patient had the good kind, there's nothing to worry about.

Meh, I lack technical terms.
              Oh I'm pretty sure it's the bad kind considering they quarantined the other guy and moved my patient into a different room. That can't ever be good. My imune system is already compromised given the fact that I've had cancer and currently have the lump on my thyroid growing back. Have been waiting for my insurance to kick in to go get that taken care of. Man does this suck! Still really freeking out here.

Comment

I'm sorry, hope everything goes alright
                I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

TB is incredibly prevalent in the Philippines, and we all get exposed to it all the time (through our maids, drivers, co-workers, etc.). It's only a big deal if you don't get it treated -- so go get tested, then do the follow up. But dion't panic; there's no need for that.
                  "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

my sister in law got it during one of her trips down to mexico. Though I'm not that close to her. Aside from a hug at christmas, it wasn't likely I could get it.

Comment

Don't scare us like this Tia. You've already had more than enough stress for one dragon. Quit hogging the ulcer-inducers...
                      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                        Don't scare us like this Tia. You've already had more than enough stress for one dragon. Quit hogging the ulcer-inducers...
                        Look this isn't my idea of fun either. I"d rather be posting anyting then this.

Comment

If it matters some 8% of the European decended people are immune to TB. Our ancestors built up an impressive civilization then saw it go to hell in a hand basket after Rome fell so public services like city sewers fell apart and the population was exposed to massive outbreaks of disease.

I'm sure it was an unfortunate time to be alive but the legency is that the genes for immunity to various diseases became much more common.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Also don't worry to much about it has more then 50% of the people who contract TB never come down with the actual illness. You'll just test positive to an exposure test and even if you are one of the unfortunate people who do become symtomatic then it is entirely curiable abet at the cost of taking a drug every day for a year and never getting to drink alcohol during that entire time. There are worse things.

I myself have been around hoards of TB exposed people in various third world countries and the truth is it isn't an easy disease to catch especially if you practice basic things like washing your hands and breathing through your nose instead of your mouth. Most people do those things anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by alva

No there is only one type. It is just some people are lucky enough to have the right genes and a strong immune system so that they never actually come down with the illness while other people do. My understanding is that if you are simply exposed (meaning you carries the disease) but are not symptomatic then you cannot pass the disease on to others. It is only if you have full blown TB that you can spread it. Thus we have a large pool of people who test positive for TB exposure but who actually don't have the disease nor have ever suffered due to their exposure.

Comment

Working...
                              X