Death penalty is damn right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MOBIUS
    The fact that Moussaoui is changing his story and squirming like a ***** is ample proof that the DP is useless as a deterrant. I mean why if you intend to punish someone for a heinous crime would you let them get away with it by quite literally putting them out of their misery!!?
    Clifford Olsen murdered 11 children.

To this day, locked up safe and sound for 'life', he occassionally writes some letter or other to make prosecutors and parents of missing children wonder if there are more.

In short, the man is torturing people because he can, and that's how he gets his kicks at this late date.

He should be dead and we'd be done with it.

There is no reason whatsoever to keep such an animal alive.

There is never going to be any rehabilitation, and the only punishment the families of the victims, or anyone else, is interested in is seeing the carcass of this waste of skin hung from the Lion's Gate Bridge.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• The DP is an option that should be at the state's disposal. There are violent criminals out there who simply, for their crimes, deserve to be put to death. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

I challenge any DP opponent to take a tour of America's prisons and visit the worst of the worst... rapists, murderers, serial pedophiles... these sociopaths cannot be rehabilitated. There's no hope whatsoever to change them.

It's not about bringing the victim back, or "the DP is racist" or any of these bull**** arguments that DP opponents keep harping on. It's about punishment. Plain and simple.

And the DP is ****ty punishment.

If you want punishment for punishment sake, torture the bastards. Simple. Change the law and allow cruel punishment. If their crimes are so bad, then doing things to horrid to mention to them is not bad either. But if it is all about punishment, why aren't people going this route? I see no movement to make punishment for these people worse, only a continuation of the nutty notion that death is the worst punishment. It isn't. If it were, we would go back to public executions, that would trully be a greater deterent (not that it ever worked anyways in the past)

And since it is not, why should we even use it?

I don;t need a society that is so terrified and psychologically victimized that all it thinks about is punishment. That is a society of weak and pitiful individuals.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap
        I don;t need a society that is so terrified and psychologically victimized that all it thinks about is punishment. That is a society of weak and pitiful individuals.
        Bull****.

There are crimes from which there is never going to be rehabilitation. Kill children. Kill cops. Kill multiple people in a spree.

Why keep a person alive who is never supposed to see freedom again?

Death is an end to it.

No more letters taunting the families of victims, and others. If a person is so horrid that prison for the rest of their natural life is appropriate, there is no reason to keep the dog alive.

Animals are treated better.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• The DP is an option that should be at the state's disposal. There are violent criminals out there who simply, for their crimes, deserve to be put to death. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

...It's about punishment. Plain and simple.

Originally posted by GePap
          And the DP is ****ty punishment.

No, the weak and pitiful are those who haven't the backbone to punish justly. The weak and pitiful are those who feel "terrified and victimized" by the specter of DP.

Originally posted by GePap
          If their crimes are so bad, then doing things to horrid to mention to them is not bad either.

While you are at it, why bother with courts and all that legal stuff? Catch some murderer or rapist in the act and just beat him (or her) to death on the spot. Maybe slow enough to extract a confession. Yeah, that's the ticket...

Wrong. The prohibition of cruel and unusual punishment is in the Constitution for that reason. That is the state-sponsored vengeance for which the weenies mistake the DP.

There are too many hardened criminals for whom prison is a change of venue. Most of the time these animals can get drugs, sexual gratification, etc to ease their stay. They live for violence, intimidation, and power. These are the kind who are truly punished by ending their lives, denying them their sadistic pleasures.

Moussaoui is sweating about life sentence because ultimately he is a coward. To his thinking DP is martyrdom, like his nineteen buddies. Life sentence means he has to face his punishment every day. "A coward dies a thousand deaths..."

He is sweating because half the general population would gladly to beat the hell out of him from their own sense of vengeance. He is too soft to stand toe-to-toe with them, much less the hardened violent criminals. Life sentence for him will be solitary confinement.
          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
            Clifford Olsen murdered 11 children.
            This proves, once and for all, DP is completely useless as a deterrent.

Originally posted by notyoueither
            To this day, locked up safe and sound for 'life', he occassionally writes some letter or other to make prosecutors and parents of missing children wonder if there are more.

In short, the man is torturing people because he can, and that's how he gets his kicks at this late date.

He should be dead and we'd be done with it.
            If he's dead, people won't know if there are more or not. IOW, there is no purpose in killing him.

There is no reason whatsoever to keep such an animal alive.
            Again, what is the purpose of killing this person?

There is never going to be any rehabilitation, and the only punishment the families of the victims, or anyone else, is interested in is seeing the carcass of this waste of skin hung from the Lion's Gate Bridge.
            Let me get this straight.

The state is to kill him to satisfy the blood lust of a few people.

No, I don't think so.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Again, what is the purpose of killing this person?
              UR, answer this, what is the point in keeping someone, who cannot be rehabilitated and let back into society alive?

Comment

• Originally posted by Flip McWho
                UR, answer this, what is the point in keeping someone, who cannot be rehabilitated and let back into society alive?
                I cannot see the state be given the power to take away any individual citizen's life.

Of course, I can ask you the counter-question, which is, what empowers the state to carry out capital punishment?
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• A mandate from the people that hasn't been revoked yet. Admittedly it isn't put forward as a referendum, but the political support is still there for it to exist.

This isn't just any citizens life its taking away. Its taking away somebodies life who decided that somebody elses life was to be taken away, for their personal reasons. At least the state does it so society does not have to continuously keep someone who has no chance of being put back into society.

Comment

• For the record, no I don't believe a state should be a moral vehicle.

Comment

• Trouble is that 1 in a 1000 the clearly guilty convicted murderer is innocent. That's happened in the past, both for people on Death Row in America and for those already executed. For that reason I think you shouldn't use the death penalty--it's a far more absolute punishment then life in prison. It's not a matter of second chances or sympathy. It's the fact that our justice system is not perfect. There are all sorts of flaws, and though they exist whether you kill someone or put them in jail, fact is that killing someone is a far bigger step that can never be undone. Someone in jail is protected from the public; execution is clearly an additional punitive measure whose effect as a deterrent is non-existent. Though that might -theoretically- be acceptable in some circumstances, the fact that random error comes into it so often complicates things too much (at least in my book).
                      "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

• Yeah, I realise I'm only talking about the DP in kinda perfect situations. When there is no doubt to the persons guilt and it was a pre-meditated murder and no chance of rehabilitation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Straybow
                          No, the weak and pitiful are those who haven't the backbone to punish justly. The weak and pitiful are those who feel "terrified and victimized" by the specter of DP.

Punishment is a statement of fear. You fear that the actions you dislike will continue, so you try to impose sanctions to scare people from the action.

The harsher the punishment the weaker or morew unstable the system inherently. Stronger systems don't need as much punishment, because they can survive without it.

We can see a simple progrssion, as States have become stronger, punishments have declined overall. NO one gets hanged in public anymore for theft. The DP has shrunk to eithe rnothingness in many places, to being handed out rarely even in the US.

I don;t fear killer having life in prison. And I don;t havce the mania that you do of thinking I know what "justice" is.

So, not being manic and not being fearful, I don;t support the DP.
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• I don't believe in state vengence. If I need revenege, I should be the one to take it, not the state. As far as the state is concerned, merely locking a person up until they are no longer a danger to society is sufficient.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by Zevico
                                Trouble is that 1 in a 1000 the clearly guilty convicted murderer is innocent.

Actually, a major study by the conservative Chicago Tribune of Texas' death sentencing found that fully 1/3rd had serious problems which would warrent new trials, generally relating to the very poor quality of lawyers available for the typically poor client facing a murder charge.

In addition, manufactured evidence by police, suppressed evidence by prosecutors, and bias by judges puts the whole integrity of the death sentancing system in serious doubt.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X