No announcement yet.

Death penalty is damn right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the chances of them murdering someone else if they live inside the walls is miniscule.

Yes.

Except when they escape.

Or are let out for good behavior, or some strange legal maneuver (which has and will happen).

And what will you tell the family of their next victim?

"Oops....we'll try harder next time."

I think they will not take much comfort in that.

-=Vel=-
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

• The only 100% effective way of ensuring they never get out is... wait for it... killing them.

Comment

• I would agree with that (the lock 'em up forever idea) in theory, but that's the problem.

It's theory.

In practice, ****e happens.

Prisoners escape.

Legal loopholes are found.

Killers get free to kill again.

It happens, rendering your solution of a lower effectiveness percentage than mine.

When it comes to seeing that they cannot do it again I'm looking for the perfect solution. The one that operates with a 100% success rate, cos when dealing with the things that go bump in the night, nothing less than that will do.

-=Vel=-
        The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

• here is the deal on the good time
          there is no good time!! all the prisoners are given a total of 3 days to our one... Thats right every one day we live with out the criminal they spend 3 days in prison. they always spend less the 1/3 of the time handed down to them by the judge or jury. Life doesnt mean life unless it is with out parole and even then that isnt a given.
          When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
          "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
          Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Velociryx
            I'm looking for the perfect solution. The one that operates with a 100% success rate,
            -=Vel=-
            Yeah...I see...you even want to execute the guy who the law requires to be set free.

Comment

• I want to execute the Pee Wee Gaskinss out there in the world.

I want them stopped.

What I don't want to see happen is to see them rape, torture, and cannibalize a bunch of people, get locked up until someone gets sloppy and then get free to do some more of it.

I absolutely do not want that.

And I support a form of punishment for the real monsters out there (not everyone, mind you, as I have already explained) but the MONSTERS out there.

I want to make 100% sure that they'll never have another chance to do it again.

There's a law on the books that does that.

I support it.

-=Vel=-
              Last edited by Velociryx; April 5, 2006, 20:39.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zkribbler

My solution: Don't let them out.
                Why keep a person alive after they've murdered 10 or a 100 people for personal pleasure?
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zkribbler
                  You're talking about future crimes committed by the guys inside the walls.
                  I'm talking about future crimes committed by the guys outside the walls.

BTW: Actually, I do have some evidence. Namely, European nations have no death penalty and also have a much lower murder rate.
                  European nations also have worse basketball teams than we do and they have no death penalty.

Correlation/causation FTW
                  "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• Originally posted by The keeper
                    Many places that "the civilized west" see as backward and having barbaric punishment have the lowest crime rate.
                    Most European countries don't have captial punishment and they have a lower crime rate, esp violent crimes, then the US.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by Richelieu
                      Aren't we devaluating the life of the victims by refusing to consider that the punishment should fit the crime?
                      Again, what is the basis of dishing out punishments upon people who are convicted of crimes?

It seems like most people are skirting this more fundamental issue.

Originally posted by Richelieu
                      These barbarians kidnapped a baby and killed it. As i've already cited in another thread, they forfeited their right to live.
                      OTOH, soilders who caused, uh, "collaterl damages" are not punished by the same principles.
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Velociryx
                        I want to execute the Pee Wee Gaskinss out there in the world.

I want them stopped.

What I don't want to see happen is to see them rape, torture, and cannibalize a bunch of people, get locked up until someone gets sloppy and then get free to do some more of it.

I absolutely do not want that.
                        The thing is, there's no statistical evidence showing the DP is an effective deterrent against killers, murderers, pyschopaths, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger

The thing is, there's no statistical evidence showing the DP is an effective deterrent against killers, murderers, pyschopaths, etc.
                          There is no statiscal evidence showing that it isnt a effective method either.
                          When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.

Comment

• For that logic u have to take into account, some places have it murders happen, some places dont have it murders happen so i guess that isnt a reliable arguement

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              And since we do happen to live in a democratic republic, the majority makes the rules.
                              And the dream is that over time, the DP will fade away.

But the US is a bit backwards in thinking on a whole host of issues....
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski

There is no statiscal evidence showing that it isnt a effective method either.
                                Effective in what?

DP probably has little if any bearing on murder rates.

Given it has no real deterrence values, it becomes a question of values.
                                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                                X