Death penalty is damn right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ajbera
    The only 100% effective way of ensuring they never get out is... wait for it... killing them.
    Or a prison colony.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
      There is no statiscal evidence showing that it isnt a effective method either.
      Sure. The US has the DP, but it has the highest crime rate amongest first world countries.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger
        Sure. The US has the DP, but it has the highest crime rate amongest first world countries.
        We can always count on UR to equate correlation and causation .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Velociryx
          I'm looking for the perfect solution. The one that operates with a 100% success rate
          Tough luck there, Vel. It doesn't exist. Unless, of course, you call execution of those who are innocent or capable of reform "success."
          Lime roots and treachery!
          "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

• How do you reform someone who kills multiple people over time for jollies? How do you ever trust them again? You want that person to ever see the light of day? If not, why keep them alive?
            Last edited by notyoueither; April 6, 2006, 02:42.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

We can always count on UR to equate correlation and causation .
              I already beat you to calling out this particular logical fallacy. I missed UR's usage of it though.

"You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• Search continues for escaped murderer

The search continues late tonight for an escaped inmate from the U.S. Penitentiary in Pollock, a North Dakota man serving a life sentence for murder described by authorities as "dangerous."

The 47-year-old inmate, Richard McNair, escaped this afternoon by hiding in a warehouse on the prison grounds and then riding out in a mail vehicle, said authorities. McNair is a North Dakota Department of Corrections inmate from Minot, N.D., serving a life sentence for murder, criminal attempt and burglary.

McNair is 6 feet tall and weighs about 210 pounds. He has scars on his left wrist and on both knees. He last was seen wearing a white T-shirt and gray jogging pants.

The FBI, U.S. Marshals Service and local law enforcement are searching for McNair. Residents are urged to call the United States Marshals Service at (318)676-4200 or the penitentiary at (318) 561-5384 if they see McNair.

Police are searching the area around Tioga High and Junior High schools. Rapides Parish School Superintendent Gary Jones said he doesn't believe the incident will change Thursday's school schedule.

He said that an announcement would be made if such a change was necessary.

Comment

• Dammit, I cant find it. Again, prolly the tenth time I've googled or searched the local library records.

I keep looking for the name of the guy. I thought I'd never forget it. What comes to mind is Donald something, or maybe something Donaldson.

This chump was convicted of 1st degree murder in ~1980 and sentenced to death. On an appeal he got a retrial. He was sentenced to life in prison with eligibility for parole in 20 years.

In ~1993 a Federal Judge decides Georgia prisons are overcrowed and orders 1500 prisoners released. Georgia requests time for the board of paroles to review cases, which is denied. Out springs the murderer.

He returns to Augusta GA and finds employment as a janitor at the Department of Family and Child Services local office where two of my friends work.

Their supervisor, Mary Scott, works late every Thursday to make sure she never has to work late on Fridays. The ex-con hides in the janitors closet after clocking out. He murders her (after possibly raping her; not enough evidence to know and he isn't telling).

He carried her body far enough away to escape the initial search of downtown dumpsters when she is reported missing the next morning. Her body is found is discovered days later at the landfill.

Fortunately, the murderer was fool enough to keep her necklace. The family and police have the local TV stations show a picture of her necklace. The murderer's girlfriend turns him in: he had given it to her.

There is no such thing as life without parole. There is no such thing as minimum sentencing. All you need is one arshole judge to change the rules at some point in the future.

I think the judge should be sentenced to personally apologize and perform free menial labor for the victims/families of all crimes committed by the criminals he loosed upon society.

Question for anti-DP weenies: Do you think this would have a deterence upon liberal-weenie judges making such decisions?
                  (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                  (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                  (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• There is no such thing as life without parole. There is no such thing as minimum sentencing. All you need is one arshole judge to change the rules at some point in the future.

Of course, the same is true of DP candidates - all you need is for a superior court (arsehole judges?) to overturn the previous conviction, or for a later judge to rule that the original conviction was a mistrial or somesuch. Arsehole judges don't seem to be restricted to life imprisonment scenarios.

I think the judge should be sentenced to personally apologize and perform free menial labor for the victims/families of all crimes committed by the criminals he loosed upon society.

Question for anti-DP weenies: Do you think this would have a deterence upon liberal-weenie judges making such decisions?
                    I'm not sure about the "weenie" comment, but as for your question, I think it would have an effect. Whether institutionalizing pressure to convict into an ideally impartial justice system is a good idea, well, I'd think a bit on that.

As long as we're using mildly insulting epithets I'd like to volunteer the phrase "pro-DP troglodytes."
                    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyclotron
                      Tough luck there, Vel. It doesn't exist. Unless, of course, you call execution of those who are innocent or capable of reform "success."
                      Originally posted by notyoueither
                      How do you reform someone who kills multiple people over time for jollies? How do you ever trust them again? You want that person to ever see the light of day? If not, why keep them alive?
                      I didn't insult you, and I'd like an answer.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                        I didn't insult you, and I'd like an answer.
                        Oh, missed that one.

My comment:

...was a general statement on criminals convicted of "capital" crimes. There are certainly people executed or due to be executed who do not, as you say, "kill multiple people over time for jollies." That "capable of reform" clause would apply best to them. I agree that some kinds of criminals probably can't be reformed.

And as for "why keep them alive," I believe I already covered that in the above quote - no justice system is perfect and there is always the possibility of them being innocent.

Comment

• There isn't much chance of them being innocent if you have the right standard of proof.

Texas isn't the right way, don't get me wrong.

But having an admitted killer of 20 or more children put up indefinitely sits as worse than what happens in Texas.

You can put up all sorts of arguments against the DP. They are good arguments when they stick to facts, such as innocents put to death.

They fall short in cases where the DP is abundantly clear as the proper sentence, such as multiple thrill killers where there is no doubt about guilt.

If there is no doubt about guilt, and the crime is beyond redemption, why keep these human animals alive?
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

• You can put restrictions on the DP.

You don't have to go all or nothing.

Require eye witnesses (who are not subject to prosecution with the possibility of a lesser sentence) physical evidence, and admission.

Require two of the three to be fulfilled. Allow admissions to be renounced as far as the DP is concerned.

Furthermore, restrict it to extraordinary cases. Multiple murders, or those involving children.

You can be certain of some of the people who do not deserve to live. The fact that Texas is indescriminate does not mean that the DP is not the proper sentence for some crimes.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

• firstly the whole deterrant argument is crap.

Is jail a deterrant for furture crimes?

Nobody's really advocating killing all the crims. Just the ones that don't show the same respect for the sanctity of life, and this is proven beyond a shadow of doubt. Which is the main crux of the issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flip McWho

Is jail a deterrant for furture crimes?
                                Thats a huge self evident DUHHHH!

Without social penalty likelihood of anarchial behavior becomes a much greater probablity by otherwise sane law abiding folk.

Is mandatory jail sentencing for DUI effective? Damn straight.

Does it prevent addicted alcoholics from driving whilst intoxicated, maybe not. But it sure as hell is a wake up call to the social drinker.
                                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                                X