Death penalty is damn right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wycoff

..if so, then that activates my corollary. These people don't deserve the chance for reform. Their victim gets no second chance, why should they?
    Everybody deserves a second chance, unless they're proven psychopaths with no hope for reform.

Lots of criminals in prison have enough time to think over their crimes, and in the end they're a different person. The important thing there is to stimulate that, instead of incarcerating them in places that increase potential criminal behaviour. That's what happens in most countries. On the other hand I've heard about the Finnish approach having more success. But that doesn't work if you merely want to take revenge
    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

The U.S. is the only Western industrialized nation I know of that has the death penalty. It also has the highest murder rate.

One of my chief concerns is that, by devaluing life via executions, if we aren't actually inducing far more murders that we're deterring.

Comment

Not everybody deserves a second chance. Some mistakes are just too big.
        Attached Files

Comment

Uh...there's actually very few ships in prison.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
            The U.S. is the only Western industrialized nation I know of that has the death penalty. It also has the highest murder rate.

One of my chief concerns is that, by devaluing life via executions, if we aren't actually inducing far more murders that we're deterring.
            from everything I see I don't see those nations that don't have the death penalty valuring life more

face it, it is our economics, and culture, that causes the violence

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Our culture of violence??

Comment

individualism... materialism.. etc

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

So don't eat, or all others become hungry?
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

So don't eat, or all others become hungry?
                    Sloww, if you're trying to confuse me, you're doing a great job.

A culture of....
                    individualism... materialism.. etc
                    ...leading to increased murders??
                    Maybe materialism...if you look at it as devaluing life. But that would be an anti-death-penalty argument. "We should not have the death penalty to emphasize the preciousness of life."

Comment

I honestly don't think that the death penalty effects the minds of murderers at all

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

yes, individualism because it is self focused...

materialism because it puts more value on things than people

I would include capitalism... (life is a competition between you and other people)

and hedonism as well (going after your own please paramountly)

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by germanos
                          Actually, this case appears to have great prospects for 'reform'. I'm not aware of the motives for the kidnap (infertility by the kidnappers is my guess), and the chances of them running in an accident with an epilectic toddler seems pretty small.
                          So far it looks more to be a 'panic kill' rather then a deliberate sadistic act.
                          That indicated REFORM to you?! They paniced and took a shovel to an infant's head? That indicates an incredibly messed up mind to me.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

yeah, I agree

I think that some people are so ****ed up, that they are no longer capable of reform

this is not the reason why I support the death penalty (on principle, I don't like people who are innocent getting put to death, which has deffinitely happened much to often in the part), the reason why I support the death penalty is that things should have consequences

back before states.. or before rule of law, the consequence of murder would be your own death...

now we try to have mercy, consideration, understanding and some other such things in our justice system

but we need to remember that the prime purpose of the justice system is justice

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs
                              Everybody deserves a second chance,
                              Why? Their victims get no second chance.
                              I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff

Why? Their victims get no second chance.
                                And that ladies and gentlemen is the whole entire crux of the matter in a nut shell. Point, Set, Match, Goal!
                                Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                                Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                                Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                                You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Working...
                                X