Who has the biggest bombs of them all?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DRoseDARs

Russia's Antanov AN-225 (only one current built I believe) carries 250 metric tonnes (275 short tons).
    Unfortunatelly, after collapse of the USSR this one now belongs to Ukraine. But we have a couple of dozens of AN-124, which can carry up to 150 tonns.

AN-225+Soviet Shuttle Buran.
    Attached Files

Comment

ahh, I found the thread.

Here's an update.

Still not as cool as the above ground nuke tests. I wish I was alive to see those. . Easy to say where I live. They always did the tests when Vegas was upwind of the nuke tests. Poor people in Utah got stuck with the fallout.

Comment

WTF is a "strake?"
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
          They always did the tests when Vegas was upwind of the nuke tests. Poor people in Utah got stuck with the fallout.
          hmm hmm hmm hmm
          Visit First Cultural Industries
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

There is no plane we know of that can carry 700 tones, but it was tested in Nevada testing site (where Area 51 is located) so they must have a plane we don't know about.
            USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
            The video may avatar is from

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
              WTF is a "strake?"

Comment

update: The test has been cancelled.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal is Nevada's most trusted source for local news, Las Vegas sports, business news, gaming news, entertainment news and more.

They aren't saying why, but the public outcry is the biggest reason. People are worried about radioactive dust being kicked up into the atmosphere 10,000 feet. While I have my doubts just how radioactive this dust actually is, I understand their concerns. But most of the above ground tests in the 50's and 60's were done using smaller a bombs, and I doubt that much radiactivity exists. But the goverment couldn't prove everything was safe.

As some of you may know the downwinders as they liked to be called were affected by above ground testing back in the 50's and 60's. My city was always upwind (if only 60 miles away) . Some say John Wayne got cancer cells while filming a movie in Utah because of this. But I think he smoked too, that might have something to do with it. .

So I question the desire to forsake national security based on irrational fears. Well maybe there is a little bit of rationality to them. But really, this test wasn't all that practical anyways. The "bomb" is too big to be deliverable in any meaningful, accurate way. Just how would we use it? But I do support the testing, and research into bunker busting bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by Will9
                  There is no plane we know of that can carry 700 tones, but it was tested in Nevada testing site (where Area 51 is located) so they must have a plane we don't know about.
                  There was no mention in the OP article about this test being of an air-dropped device. The first atomic bomb test and the first hydrogen bomb tests were of bombs set up on platforms.

From the OP, it sounded like they would build a replica of some hardened bunker, then set up a huge pile of conventional explosives next to it, and watch what would happen.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                  X