Duke Lacrosse team rapes a woman???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Miller
    my line is most definitely at my involvement...

but I am not JohnT, and I do know that a lot of people go to Thailand because they want to get invovled in crazy (sometimes illegal) sex escapades)

Jon Miller

Explain the reference, please.

Comment

I think it was just the John vs. Jon thing, but that is a beautiful combination to take out of context.
      Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Ahhhh. Upon re-reading it I understand what "Edit: fixed" meant in Patroklos' post.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
          That's no way to talk about Lancer!
          Lancer goes to the Philippines for his illegal sex activities, or helping people, I forget which.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
            Actually my position was more based on that virtually all rape cases end up without anyone getting convicted, especially where there's large amounts of publicity. There was some of that rhetoric, but I withdrew it within a minute
            Um, do you mean virtually all incidences of rape or all rape cases? Most sexual assaults are not reported, but rape cases here in the U.S. get convictions all the time.
            He's got the Midas touch.
            But he touched it too much!
            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by rah
              I must admit that when I first heard about this, it was like 'Yep GUILTY' but now that there's actually some evidence i'm leaning towards 'lying *****'
              Same here. The hysteria reminds me of Tawana Brawley (sp?), though we are in no position to relegate this case to the total crap zone until we get a better look at whatever evidence the DA has.
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander
                Um, do you mean virtually all incidences of rape or all rape cases? Most sexual assaults are not reported, but rape cases here in the U.S. get convictions all the time.
                "all the time" is a meaningless quantity, but after reading your post and looking into it further, it would seem that the convinction rate in the US could be as high as 50%, which does seem like a more suitable amount than I'd have thought. It's certainly a lot better than in the UK, which has an appalling rate (and therefore I had assumed the US had similarly low rates, incorrectly).

Comment

Originally posted by Kaak

Even after a shower, such things would be present unless she had a colonic, considering she said she was sodomized.
                  Ouch -- that should leave SOME evidence even if she is experienced in that activity . . . . So unless something else comes to light, it appears these boys might actually be innocent on this count
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Out of curiosity, not just for this case, what happens when students get unjustly suspended for what amount to nothing?

Civil Suit?
                    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

There's also the status of the coach, who quit because of the pressure.

OTOH I doubt these girls have any assets to seize.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I was thinking more about sueing the school for basically abandoning them and pretty much screwing up they academic year and denying them what would have ended up a championship or near championship year.

And I don't care if they are dancing until they are 70 paying off a settlement, if they are making this up it is what they deserve.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I'd be willing to bet any extracurricular activity, like lacrosse, is solely at the school's discretion, leaving the players no claim. It's an interesting question, though.
                          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

But obviously they were wrongfully accused (well, maybe) and punished by the school prematurely.

I could be wrong, but I took the season cancellation as a punishment as opposed to a "hey lets just all settle down until this is figured out." Coupled with suspension, it would be hard to argue it was not a punishment.

Comment

Amybe she was looking the other way.
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

There are a couple of posts missing...

Let's try to remember the owners consider this a family site... so TRY to keep it reasonably clean.
                                Keep on Civin'
                                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X