X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He should.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
      Assuming he has even thought along those lines. They were options mentioned by other posters, not by Spec as coming from the guy in need of the cash.

Speculation, sure. But that's all we've got, since we don't know the guy, and apparently neither does Spec. But there's a lot of money to be made here on the back of someone else's misfortune and thoughtlessness, so who cares! Plus you get to appear "kind".
      Uh, if that's what you're thinking while reading this thread, you might want to brush up on those English lessons, pal.

The reason why we're suggesting against it is not because the interest rate is too low, it's that the risk is too high, especially given the collateral offered.

It also does nothing to ameliorate the larger problem, that of the gamblers gambling problem. It also involves Spec in a problem that is not his own... well, it is now.

Comment

That was money Spec could've used to come to ApolyCon!

Comment

Don't berate me on my English capabilities, I realise full well what your objections are.

Comment

You didn't answer my question, Winston: what rate of interest do you charge a junkie for a $10,000 loan that will get paid to his pusher?

Comment

um, 15% isn't bad at all

is better than my credit cards

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I don't lend money out, but if I were to, and had the security of getting the car upon non-fulfilment, assuming the realisation value of it is accurate, 7% p.a. Not that I see the relevance of what I would do.

Comment

As someone who has done enough loans in the past, I can tell you that A) automobiles are considered terrible collateral and B) the typical rate of interest for a "lender of last resort" (places like TransCanada Credit in Canada) is in the 30% neighbourhood.
                  "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                  "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                  "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

I don't lend money out, but if I were to, and had the security of getting the car upon non-fulfilment, 7% p.a. Not that I see the relevance of what I would do.
                    The Canadian prime rate is currently 5.5%. A P+1.5% loan is a pretty good rate for a preferred customer of a major financial institution. You'd make a brutal banker.
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned

Comment

I don't lend money out, but if I were to, and had the security of getting the car upon non-fulfilment, assuming the realisation value of it is accurate, 7% p.a. Not that I see the relevance of what I would do.
                      What you would do is quite relevant when you argue against what others are doing.

Comment

If you're allegedly trying to "help someone out", which we're being told this is all about, you shouldn't deviate much from the market rates, especially with the collateral.

Comment

I agree. So 30% it is.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

As told to you by others, 15% isn't market rates for this type of loan. 30% is.

You're charging under-market rates - as is Spec. That's all we're saying.

And, apparently, you agree.

you shouldn't deviate much from the market rates

As someone who has done enough loans in the past, I can tell you that A) automobiles are considered terrible collateral and B) the typical rate of interest for a "lender of last resort" (places like TransCanada Credit in Canada) is in the 30% neighbourhood.

Comment

He's massively undercutting market rates for someone in that person's situation.

Comment

I know - he's trying to drive honest lenders like ourselves out of business!

Comment

Working...
                                X