Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas starts arresting bar patrons for being... erm... drunk.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elok

The average Texan lawn and the average European state are about the same size. Why does the "national defense" argument work for you and not them?
    What?

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
      This is kinda silly. However, I seriously doubt the police are arresting people for being intoxicated, but rather OBVIOUSLY intoxicated. If you are the type of drunk who can suck down 12 beers in an hour and act perfectly normal (at first glance anyway), you're not gonna get bothered.

It's the idiot fratboys who take group shots and generally make asses out of themselves who will feel this one

Joking aside, though, this is pretty silly - arrest people for committing a real crime - ie, something that hurts someone - not some artificial crime. If a person gets drunker than hell in a bar, that's fine. If they start picking fights or driving home, that isn't fine. Seems to be a reasonable enough distinction.
      These are people who've entered a PRIVATE establishment and PAID a PRIVATE businessman in order to consume a LEGAL beverage. And they're being arrested inside the PRIVATE, LEGAL establishment.

Who the hell are you, and what have you done with the real David Floyd?

"I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I thought I made it pretty clear I was against these arrests. I was kidding about the fratboy thing, because they typically annoy me
        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

what if they are going to hop on a bus? you shouldnt be able to arrest someone because you think they will commit a crime.
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
            what if they are going to hop on a bus? you shouldnt be able to arrest someone because you think they will commit a crime.
            Answer 1: Under Texas (and most other states') law, they already have committed a crime: if you construe a bar as a public place, they're drunk in public.

Answer 2: A bus? In Texas?
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

We have buses and light rail. Not even horse-drawn.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Drunk in public is a pretty stupid offense - actually, I think the actual "crime" is Public Intoxication, I don't think there's a difference.

PI arrests/tickets are fine, if the person is actually doing something, in public. If someone is behaving aggressively, or trying to pick fights, or doing anything else outrageous, sure, pick him up. That's what the law is actually there for. If someone is trying to drive drunk, sure, that's what the law is there for.

But "drunk in public" laws are sort of like marijuana laws - there may be a law against it, but come on, arrest the person for presenting a danger to others, not just for the sake of arresting him.
                Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

This is ****ing ridiculous. I get drunk at bars all the time, but I never drive drunk. Ever. These cops are total douchebags. **** them.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Well-said. Eloquent, yet succinct.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

This is ****ing ridiculous. I get drunk at bars all the time, but I never drive drunk. Ever.
                      Really? One drink and you don't drive, or what's your limit?

Comment

I don't drive if I'm anywhere over the region of 0.04 (estimated by knowledge of body weight, composition, consumption and time). Call it two drinks in an hour, plus one for every 75 minutes after that.

I try not to even let it get that high if I'm driving.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Nice discipline

Comment

Just forethought.

If I'm not in the mood to drink too much then I'm fine with driving. If I am, I find an alternative beforehand.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Wow. This is incredibly retarded.
                              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                              -Bokonon

Comment

Woaah, stupidity at its best.

Clearly someone has too much money. If I was some kind of official, I'd cut down some budgets of certain agencies. This comes to my mind first. I can think of many others as well. Other places need more money.
                                In da butt.
                                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                                X