What Should the Voting Age Be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Should the Voting Age Be?

I know there is another thread about this topic currently active, but I wanted to add a poll. So please allow this thread to remain, or add a poll to the other thread. Thanks

Straw poll, what do you think?
    No voting age
    3.17%
    10-13
    0.00%
    14-15
    12.70%
    16-17
    15.87%
    52.38%
    19-21
    3.17%
    22+
    9.52%
    No voting age, since no one should vote. Only bananas
    3.17%
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

18-20 years...

maybe 19
    Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Why not let it follow the beer buying age ? It makes sense that people first get voting rights when they are able to drink a beer.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

18. It works fine the way it is.

Comment

Voting, entering military, and buying liquor should all be the same age.

I'll say 19.

Edit: Ok, 18.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

18, seems to be fine at the moment.

it's all kind of academic though, the real focus should be getting young people to actually vote, rather than worrying about changing the voting age.
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Nah, buying booze should be legal for everyone. Civil privileges or duties are different from basic freedoms.

When all drugs were legal in this country, minors could buy anything. And it just wasn't a big deal, people assumed they were buying for someone who couldn't be there and sent the kid and there doesn't appear much of a drug problem among minors back then, especially compared to today. It was considered more medicinal than recreational. I think prohibition is a great example of the forbidden fruit phenomenon, or sticking it to those bossy adults, or teen rebellion. Put a small child in a room with lots of stuff to play with and tell them not to look in a certain box and walk away and that kid will probably look in the box.

We're born sinners

Comment

I vote "Jaguar's age +1"
                  ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                    I vote "Jaguar's age +1"
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

oh yeah

18 or when they're no longer under adult or state supervision

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                        I vote "Jaguar's age +1"
                        QFT
                        Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

18. That should also stay the age of majority, where kids take on adult responsibilities as well as getting adult privledges. I think, at least (since there is no way the drinking age will be banned), the drinking age should correspond to the age of majority.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

16-17. Once you turn 18, your ability to vote is revoked.
                            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Working...
                              X