No announcement yet.

Doctor Who tonight on Sci-Fi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, we don't flog a concept to death, look at how many Fawlty Towers were made...
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I missed it, but my wife (a huge Scifi Friday fan) said it was pretty good. Production not so pathetic as the original, but cheesiness nicely preserved in the humor and general writing.

She said the guy playing the Doctor is pretty good. We were both in the "no one can replace Tom Baker" camp.

BTW, anyone know what's up with Baker these days? I know he moved to the US for awhile, saw him in a few odd parts here (well, anything he does is somewhat odd...), but haven't seen him in quite some time now.

Anyway, Mrs. Rabbit sez to the New Who...
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

How do you do your television scheduling then? People here generally expect a particular show to be on a particular day of the week at a particular time. Does everyone in Britain have TiVo?
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Whatever happened to the Time Lords and which episode was it?
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit

BTW, anyone know what's up with Baker these days? I know he moved to the US for awhile, saw him in a few odd parts here (well, anything he does is somewhat odd...), but haven't seen him in quite some time now.
            For the last couple of years his main claim to fame is as the voice of the "Little Britian" comedy series. It's funny as hell, but be warned yanks, I'm not sure that this one will translate well at all.........

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
              For the last couple of years his main claim to fame is as the voice of the "Little Britian" comedy series. It's funny as hell, but be warned yanks, I'm not sure that this one will translate well at all.........
              I always had a hard time translating from English to English.
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

You've just proved my point...

Comment

Todays episode was much better than the last two.
                  "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                    Whatever happened to the Time Lords and which episode was it?
                    Found an answer to my own question. Appearantly there was a civil war on Gallifrey involving Pandora and Pres. Romana that resulted in the world's destruction. This happened outside of the episodes. The only other possible survivor (unconfirmed) was the Master.

As for the Doctor, when it was revealed that he is half-human I began wondering who his father was. After some thought, the only person that made sense was the Master. It would explain alot beginning with why he reveals very little about his past and nothing about his name. (I remember a Tom Baker episode where he once said even his title "Doctor" was honorary. I also liked how Ace kept calling Doctor #7 "Professor")

This is how I picture his early life:

The Master, in his travels, impregnates a human and moves on. The Doctor's mother gives birth, and unaware that he is half-alien, raises him as a normal earth child.

The Doctor (a younger William Hartnell incarnation, being the first Doctor) is equally unaware of being half-human and lives a normal life. He marries and has a family of his own.

At some point, the Master returns to reveal his true heritage, and takes him away to Gallifrey to train him as a companion/henchman. The Doctor rebels and steals a broken down old TARDIS to escape back to earth. This, of course angers the Time Lords and the Master for different reasons.

The Doctor returns to find his family dead or missing igniting his undying hatred for the master. The only survivor was his grand-daughter, who was in a private school on earth.

We are almost up to season one, episode one. His grand-daughter's heritage was uncovered by two teachers and the Doctor escapes with all three in tow.

At some point before this the Doctor, blaming himself for what happened to his family, sheds his past (including his human-ness and even his name) and vows never to return. Despite that he retains a soft spot for humans and earth.

Comment

The new series of Dr. Who gives a different explanation for where the Time Lords went:

Spoiler:

The Time War. It was the last great war between the Time Lords and the Daleks. Billions of individuals died in the battles alone and entire civilisations were swept up in the chaos. In the end, a final desparate battle burnt the Daleck fleet and destroyed* the species. The price, however, was that the Time Lords burnt with them.

All except The Doctor. It's widely hinted that he only survived because he ran away, too afraid to make the final sacrifice.

* well....I say destroyed....
                      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

NANANANANA!

I have it recorded on my DVR and have not seen it yet....this is why I jumped to the last post to post this....please don't spoil it for me you bee-aches!
                        "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                        "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

I often wondered how it would be possible to kill someone who travels time (especially a whole race of them).

Wittlich - Don't worry, my previous post is conjecture, not canon (even if it is possible).

Comment

Working...
                          X