No announcement yet.

Liquid water on Saturn moon could support life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only carbon is able to form the chemically complex and diverse macromolecular polymers necessary to expedite the varoious functions of living organisms. It is the primary constituent of the nucleic acids that store the genetic code, of the incredibly complex variety of proteins which catalyse anabolic and catabolic enregy producing and synthetic processes, the fats and carbohydrates that store energy and comprise a number of structural forms. Silicon is not capable of forming such a wide variety of molcular forms, nor is any other atom.
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

All true, Dr. S. But, as I said, we are basing all this on an N of 1. It may be unlikely that there life could evolve in a wildly different chemical environment, but is it impossible? There's really no way to say for sure.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
        All true, Dr. S. But, as I said, we are basing all this on an N of 1. It may be unlikely that there life could evolve in a wildly different chemical environment, but is it impossible? There's really no way to say for sure.
        What?

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
          Life requires continuous chemical reactions, so it's rather unlikely that life elsewhere won't be based on carbon,
          I'd have to agree. It is the lightest element with the highest possible number of free electrons. The elements below carbon on the periodic table have the same number of free electrons but are rarer cosmologically speaking.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
          X