X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stuie
    Speaking of which, interesting article from the Inquirer this past Sunday:

Current Phillie took speed 'every day'
    Hell, forget about the current Phillie, Mike Schmidt said he took greenies a few times and that it was all over the place when he played.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie

When is baseball going to address this!
      actually, there was a fictional TV show that dealt with future issues like this

I think it was called Century City or something

I didn't see it, but it looked kind of interesting. I don't think the show was very good, but the concept sounds appealing.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I don't think the "it wasn't against the rules" argument is a cop out. MLB for all practical purposes encouraged/sanctioned it by not testing for it. The wink wink by the commish's office while McGwire and Sosa brought baseball back to the forefront makes any call that it was cheating a farce. Again, I'm not saying I like it... but how you can it be called cheating...
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

it just seems weird

what Sosa did (the corked bat) is then technically cheating

but all the rampant performance enhancing drug use by everyone is not

because the latter is so much worse
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Actually, the corked bat is worse in my mind.
            Besides the fact that it proves what a moron he is by getting caught, that it specifically against the rules. When it comes to drugs... why are some listed and others weren't. If steriods were against the rules, why were they not specified yet others were... and why was a rules change needed to add them if they weren't considered illegal in the first place...
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
              Actually, the corked bat is worse in my mind.

Besides the fact that it proves what a moron he is by getting caught, that it specifically against the rules.
              can't argue with that

When it comes to drugs... why are some listed and others weren't. If steriods were against the rules, why were they not specified yet others were... and why was a rules change needed to add them if they weren't considered illegal in the first place...
              When it comes to drugs, you get into murky waters.

Some are no-brainers. They should be banned.

But some of these banned substances are so called "masking agents". And they have legitimate uses as well. That's where it gets tricky. Do you remember hearing about Propecia and the Montreal Canadiens goaltender Jose Theodore? He got kicked out of the Olympics because he tested positive for that. Well, Propecia is a hair growth treatment or something, but it's also a "masking agent".

There was a story I was reading about an athlete in the Olympics who was taking Propecia for legitimate reasons, who had a doctor's note and everything. He supposedly went through the proper channels to get his use of the drug, Propecia, approved so his positive test result would not get him banned. Well, through some error or something, he ended up getting banned for one year. It's like, the luge is not something where you are going to take drugs to get an advantage, right. And this guy was like in his late 30's or early 40's taking this drug to not lose his hair. He had gone through the proper channels and everything, but the World Anti-Doping Committee or whatever still banned him for a year.

So it's difficult to set up a perfect system.

But still, people who are obviously abusing these drugs can be spotted and dealt with. There can be some sort of system set up to deal with the grey areas, but I don't see why the major offenders should be allowed to do whatever they want. No system is going to be perfect.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

I'm just waiting for 2pm
                STUPID WHITE SOX PRESEASON RADIO BROADCAST
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

And interesting to note that many players may have chosen not to particpate in the current world tournament since the testing is similar to Olympic testing. While it won't necessarily reflect what went on in the past, the current players involved in it must be pretty sure that they're clean. Regular Olympic atheletes are more experience about the rules and know better how to cheat them. I'm sure the everyday MLB players doesn't have the same expertise or discretion.
                  Another reason why the Bonds thing is so disturbing, the paper trail. Even dumb Olympic studs know better than that. Barry telling his ex girlfriend that she might have to dissappear for awhile, maybe forever
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Sava, you bring Sosa in regard to corked bat, but have he and McGwire been mentioned in regard to having their marks taken away?
                    As asterisk may be fitting when the season was expanded, but this isn't the same. An asterisk doesn't suffice.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      Sava, you bring Sosa in regard to corked bat, but have he and McGwire been mentioned in regard to having their marks taken away?
                      As asterisk may be fitting when the season was expanded, but this isn't the same. An asterisk doesn't suffice.
                      Most of the talk regarding all this steroid stuff has been limited to Bonds. At least that's just what I've heard here in Chicago.

Usually when this subject pops up, all these guys get talked about.

But the past couple days it's been all about Bonds.

Sosa routinely gets bashed here in Chicago, but there's not any hard evidence (besides the jump in numbers and his physical appearance, and then subsequent shrinkage) that Sosa was doing any performance enhancing drugs.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

So, who do you think holds the legitimate season HR record?
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Me? Maris.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

same
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                              Me? Maris.
                              And if he was doing greenies, like most of the Yankees in the 60s were?
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

And if he was doing greenies, like most of the Yankees in the 60s were?
                                Create a custom wellness plan for your dog or cat and save on your personalized bundle with a Greenies™ subscription! Made in the USA with quality ingredients.

?

clean teeth helped him hit those homers ZOMFG
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X