Barry Bonds... new book details performance enhancing drug use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

FWIW, I agree with Ming, if it wasn't against the rules, it ain't cheating.
    Using steroids (without a prescription) is against the law.

Does baseball actually need to specify that doing something against the law is against the rules?

ISN'T THAT KIND OF LIKE... COMMON SENSE?

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
      Yeah... baseball was in sorry shape, and McGwire and Sosa revived the sport. MLB new damn well what was going, and as they have always done when it came to steroids... they ignored it. There was no rule against it, and they weren't interested in having one. It wasn't until they were dragged kicking and screaming did they make it against the rules, and then started testing for it.
      So steriod use wasn't cheating until then.
      murdering people isn't against baseballs rules either, AFAIK

I'm seriously disappointed in you Ming.

I can't believe you are taking this stance on this issue.

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

murdering people isn't against baseballs rules either, AFAIK

21 percent of the NFL's players have been charged with a serious crime.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Using steroids (without a prescription) is against the law.

Does baseball actually need to specify that doing something against the law is against the rules?

Yes, baseball does have to specify that something against the law is against the rules. People don't get suspended simply because they did something against the rules. You don't lose two games because you got a speeding ticket. Though you may get suspended for using cocaine, which is against baseball's rules.

Do you think people who use marijuana should be suspended because it is illegal? Cause I don't. I think that rule should be removed.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

none of the things you describe causes you to hit 73 home runs

i.e. cheating

but go on, continue to make excuses and be an apologist for these cheating scumbags
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

because I know you are a fan of Chris Berman and ESPN (who has a reality show with Bonds' wife coming out)

you are a fan of all this garbage...

everything that is wrong with baseball

it's no surprise you are defending Bonds and the steroid freaks

as long as the balls are flying out of the park, the stats are juiced (as much as the players), and chris berman is yelling BACK BACK BACK, you don't care, do you?

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

So the legality thing is a non-issue, then? I'm a little curious why you brought it up.
                  "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned

Comment

[q=Sava]none of the things you describe causes you to hit 73 home runs[/q]

So which is it? Is doing something illegal automatically against baseball rules? Or was that just a red herring? I love this argument that since it was illegal, it's "common sense" that it was against the rules of baseball. When you point out other illegal activities, the advocates of the illegal = against baseball rules say that none of those things are performance enhancing.

It never fails.

So you agree then that it wasn't against baseball rules? After all, your idea that since it was illegal it is common sense that it was against the rules is a farce of an argument.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      [q=Sava]none of the things you describe causes you to hit 73 home runs[/q]

So which is it? Is doing something illegal automatically against baseball rules? Or was that just a red herring? I love this argument that since it was illegal, it's "common sense" that it was against the rules of baseball. When you point out other illegal activities, the advocates of the illegal = against baseball rules say that none of those things are performance enhancing.

It never fails.

So you agree then that it wasn't against baseball rules? After all, your idea that since it was illegal it is common sense that it was against the rules is a farce of an argument.
                      HAHAHAH

Who is trying to create a red herring now?

Instead of talking about Bonds' steroid use, you are going to try and make an issue about this whole, OH BUT IT TECHNICALLY WASN"T AGAINST THE RULES, crap.

It just shows how pathetic your argument is if this is how low you have to stoop.

If you can't admit that Bonds' steroid use was wrong... well, that's just pathetic.

Bonds is a complete waste of a human being... absolute garbage. And the people who make excuses for him... the Bonds apologists, they are even worse.

If you want to be one of those people Imran, that's your decision.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

So you are just solidifying that you have no leg to stand on in your whole "if it's illegal, it's common sense that it's against the rules" stance?

And I guess you also admit that it wasn't against the rules.

Comment

That's right. Keep digging.

Eventually though, you'll find the hole is going to be so deep, you won't be able to climb out.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I'm seriously disappointed in you Ming.
                            I can't believe you are taking this stance on this issue.
                            I'm actually surprised you wouldn't have guessed my POV on this issue.

If MLB had cared, they would have done something about it. It's not like this is a new issue... it's been going on for a long time. MLB, by not outlawing it and testing for it, was allowing it. So I have a hard time saying Bonds cheated. He broke no rules, and MLB didn't give a damn...

I'm not saying that Bonds is a great guy, or that he's not pond scum for doing it... but I will say he didn't violate the rules of baseball, and didn't cheat. Drugs have been used for ages in baseball... different eras, different drugs... While steriods probably have the biggest effects on performance, who's say to that uppers and speed weren't used to set records.

Again... now that MBL (after getting forced into it) has outlawed steriods and does testing, anybody caught is a cheater. But until they changed the rules..........
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

I'm actually surprised you wouldn't have guessed my POV on this issue.

If MLB had cared, they would have done something about it. It's not like this is a new issue... it's been going on for a long time. MLB, by not outlawing it and testing for it, was allowing it. So I have a hard time saying Bonds cheated. He broke no rules, and MLB didn't give a damn...

I'm not saying that Bonds is a great guy, or that he's not pond scum for doing it... but I will say he didn't violate the rules of baseball, and didn't cheat. Drugs have been used for ages in baseball... different eras, different drugs... While steriods probably have the biggest effects on performance, who's say to that uppers and speed weren't used to set records.

Again... now that MBL (after getting forced into it) has outlawed steriods and does testing, anybody caught is a cheater. But until they changed the rules..........
                              So that means that the game shouldn't be cleaned up... ever?

I don't see how past mistakes are an excuse to keep making them.

oh DanS: a great first step in cleaning up the game would be banning Barry Bonds and all other confirmed cheaters for life... and then getting rid of Bud Selig
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

HAHAHAH

Who is trying to create a red herring now?
                                That would still be you. All I can see from the other side is acknowledgement that Bonds et al have taken/are still taking steroids but that it wasn't against the rules. I also don't see anyone saying that baseball and other sports shouldn't be cleaned up, so that looks like another red herring you're creating.

And seriously, if steroids made that big a difference, why did Bonds only surpass Maris once? Why didn't Canseco or Palmeiro or anyone else not named Bonds, McGwire or Sosa ever come close?

Comment

Working...
                                X